Cape class Coast Guard Cutter 1:82 by Lindberg

I got this kit and a few others in a trade for a pair of HO locomotives I no longer had any use for recently. It is a very nice representation of the early Cape class cutters. It comes with markings for four schemes, one prior to the racing stripe. I am planning to make some changes and additions to the equipment on the boat to make it more in line with boats stationed in Florida interdicting drug runners in the caribbean sea and Gulf of Mexico. So far the fit has been excellent and the amount of flash for such an old kit isn't bad. The kit was originally released with parts to motorize it and even though this issue doesn't include a motor or the hardware needed it does have the cradle and a few other plastic parts needed if I were to decide to make it a RC model. There were a couple of dimples in the plastic deck house that need filling and a few other areas where the mold ejector pins left excess plastic. The deck fits OK but there is a gap at the bow that needed filling. I have assembled the hull and deck and the deck house separately prior to painting. I plan not to add rust anywhere since as far as I can tell from the photos they were kept very clean.

cape class Coast Guard cutter 001.jpgcape class Coast Guard cutter 002.jpgcape class Coast Guard cutter 004.jpg

Hi Bob

I will be following along. The cutter looks like a very nice model.

Cheers
Geoff

Just painted the decks. I'll let them dry a day or two and then mask them to paint the hull and the deck house. At this stage the deck house and pilot house are not glued together.

painting the deck 001.jpgpainting the deck 002.jpg

Bob

I have never been into plastics but I have been viewing the plastics build log and they are of excellent quality. You are changing my mind and maybe one day I will give a plastic model a go.

Cheers
Geoff

Back