Capstan and windlass -another stupid question

I was looking at drawings and models of the Bounty and noticed that it had a capstan and a windlass. Didn't they serve the same function? Why would a ship have both?

I believe this is a drawing from the original ship and shows both. Not exactly sure of the purpose?
bounty-plans-1787-rmg.jpg

Seems, that the Bounty had in the beginning only the windlass fore without the capstan

Bounty1.jpg
at this drawing the capstan is missing

This drawing is showing than both - with installed capstan and changed hatches

Bounty2.jpg

Bounty (1787)​

Scale: 1:48. Plan showing the upper deck, lower deck and fore/aft platforms for HM Transport Bounty (1787), as fitted at Deptford Dockyard for transporting breadfruit plants.

The plan was received by the Navy Board on 20 November 1787.

Bounty3.jpg

Bounty4.jpg

After her purchase at 23.05.1787 the Bounty received the capstan later on during the refit to be prepared to transport the plants - so they decided to need tha capstan purely to use for lifting actions (boats, loads, baskets etc.)

So I think the windlass for lifting anchor, the capstan for lifting everything else - the capstan was working much faster than a windlass

BTW:
the first drawing without the capstan is dated with 25. June 1787
the second drawing with the capstan is dated with 20. November 1787

Thank you Uwe, that's interesting. Do you mind if I ask what did you use for search parameters? I searched for Bounty and Hms Bounty and came up with 0 results. I figured it had to be wrong but nothing.

Thank you Uwe, that's interesting. Do you mind if I ask what did you use for search parameters? I searched for Bounty and Hms Bounty and came up with 0 results. I figured it had to be wrong but nothing.
I go directly to NMM and also three decks

In
Seems, that the Bounty had in the beginning only the windlass fore without the capstan

View attachment 365883
at this drawing the capstan is missing

This drawing is showing than both - with installed capstan and changed hatches

View attachment 365884

Bounty (1787)​

Scale: 1:48. Plan showing the upper deck, lower deck and fore/aft platforms for HM Transport Bounty (1787), as fitted at Deptford Dockyard for transporting breadfruit plants.

The plan was received by the Navy Board on 20 November 1787.

View attachment 365885

View attachment 365887

After her purchase at 23.05.1787 the Bounty received the capstan later on during the refit to be prepared to transport the plants - so they decided to need tha capstan purely to use for lifting actions (boats, loads, baskets etc.)

So I think the windlass for lifting anchor, the capstan for lifting everything else - the capstan was working much faster than a windlass

BTW:
the first drawing without the capstan is dated with 25. June 1787
the second drawing with the capstan is dated with 20. November 1787
indeed, the ratchet capstan is handy as it requires less manpower, but is extremely slow.
to heave anchor in a hurry, they’d use the capstan, but also for everything else.
mainly boats, but also jeering up yards, resetting topmasts…

also note that on some of the top views above, what appears to be a windlass is just bitts.
So it is possible that it was the windlass that was added

My understanding is a Windless was used mostly with chain and Capstan mostly with rope.

Back