Cat o' one tail

When our cat recently died a neighbour's cat took over his patch. (every square foot of England is owned by a cat). When I tried to make friends with it the bugger bit me. 12 hours later I am in A&E (long wait!) to get given some antibiotic tablets. My swollen hand is useless for shipbuilding though I have just found that I can laboriously tie a ratline. Useful occupational therapy during recovery. I suppose it hides the unsightly veins on the back of my paws.
Cat_bite[1].jpg

Update
Thank you for all the good wishes. Four days of antibiotic tablets achieved nothing so I spent three nights in hospital being given intravenous antibiotics which seem to be working. Treatment is being continued with home visits. Dexterity still very limited but a little better. I may be able to strop a batch of blocks as an alternative to ratlining. Oh joy!

As a physician, I had my reservations about whether oral antibiotics would work... Based on the picture you posted I would have thought IV antibiotics would have been my first choice for cellulitis... That's why I asked what kind of bug juice they gave you. I am glad it's better now and you got good care

As someone who has always shared my home with cats (two at a time, so they have someone to play/fight with when I'm not around). That said, they NEVER have access to the room where I'm doing my build work, nor are any of my models displayed in areas they can access. Cats being cats, their natural curious nature, combined with the first reaction to swat at things makes model ships and cats two things that should never be present in the same space. But back to the OP, I'm amazed at the reaction the OP got from that cat bite. I know their teeth and mouth carry a biological warfare suite, but wow. That's truly scary. Wishing you a safe and expedient recovery now that you're getting proper treatment.

Update
Thank you for all the good wishes. Four days of antibiotic tablets achieved nothing so I spent three nights in hospital being given intravenous antibiotics which seem to be working. Treatment is being continued with home visits. Dexterity still very limited but a little better. I may be able to strop a batch of blocks as an alternative to ratlining. Oh joy!
whishing you to get well soon

When our cat recently died a neighbour's cat took over his patch. (every square foot of England is owned by a cat). When I tried to make friends with it the bugger bit me. 12 hours later I am in A&E (long wait!) to get given some antibiotic tablets. My swollen hand is useless for shipbuilding though I have just found that I can laboriously tie a ratline. Useful occupational therapy during recovery. I suppose it hides the unsightly veins on the back of my paws.
View attachment 457842
Death sentence

I had a heart valve replaced about 7 years ago. The cardiologist said I need to have a dose of penicillin every time I go to the dentist. I have a cat that occasionally gets over excited and decides to munch on exposed flesh. I mentioned this to my cardio guy and asked if I should perhaps keep some antibiotics on hand for such occasions. He wrote me out a prescription immediately, (infected heart valves can be life threatening). As an aside I do brush said kitty’s teeth every night but this doesn’t stop her biting however the puncture wounds are a little cleaner.

As someone who has always shared my home with cats (two at a time, so they have someone to play/fight with when I'm not around). That said, they NEVER have access to the room where I'm doing my build work, nor are any of my models displayed in areas they can access. Cats being cats, their natural curious nature, combined with the first reaction to swat at things makes model ships and cats two things that should never be present in the same space. But back to the OP, I'm amazed at the reaction the OP got from that cat bite. I know their teeth and mouth carry a biological warfare suite, but wow. That's truly scary. Wishing you a safe and expedient recovery now that you're getting proper treatment.
My cat must be an exception, she inspects each day's work with her nose, & the occasional cheek rub. I use beer bottle tops, to hold small amounts of paint & glue, which she does like to bat & watch them fall to the floor. To get me up on a morning, she kicks my arm with her back feets & embraces my wrist in her arms, then has a 'friendly' gnaw on my hand to show her affection!

My cat must be an exception, she inspects each day's work with her nose, & the occasional cheek rub. I use beer bottle tops, to hold small amounts of paint & glue, which she does like to bat & watch them fall to the floor. To get me up on a morning, she kicks my arm with her back feets & embraces my wrist in her arms, then has a 'friendly' gnaw on my hand to show her affection!
My cat pees on the laundry in my travel bag the night before I have to make a work trip out of the State for a week. This is the third time now! :mad:

Back