Catalina by Mamoli - Build log

First wooden ship model kit since abandoning a Beagle kit many, many years ago due to my ignorance of planking methods. Made stick and tissue free flight aircraft, and plastic aircraft models usually. One simple kit of a Chesapeake Flattie boat turned out well a few years ago.
Anyway, I made the initial mistake of gluing the bulkheads flush with the top of the keel as indicated in the plan drawings. Then I measured everything and realized all most of the critical bulkhead bevels were off compared to the plans. After about 4 tries requiring ungluing (see all my marks) I finally think I got them right per plan drawings. I've had success using 1/16 balsa sheet to jig things to be square and plan height as the bevels on the frames for the rubbing strake and coaming pieces is pretty critical but not cut well in the kit, in my opinion. I'm pretty happy with using a magnet board as a building surface.
Second photo shows the minimal amount of decking supplied. I calculated the area needed and in the kit I was provided about 1 cm of extra strip. I need to cover the false deck pieces shown. Need to order more before I continue since I have no extra material to cut planks to scale lengths. Catalina bulkheads.jpgmininal decking strips.jpg

Finally ready to start fairing the bulkheads in preparation for laying the rubbing strakes and later 1st planking. Made sanding sticks and a bending jig for the bow curve (at least the horizontal for now). I'll need another one for the stern. I think the 2x2mm walnut pieces are going to take some gentle handling to get these curves on this barge-shape hull. Four of them go together to make the total 4x4mm strake. In this particular kit I think it would have been VERY helpful to have a recess cut in each bulkhead to guide placement for the builder. Lots of curves in these type boats.Dutch yacht bow.jpg prepped for fairing and bending bow strakes.jpg

Looking good so far!
I grew up and around these boats in Holland, and she is on my 'to build' list,
so I will follow with interest.. good luck!

Using my wife's clothes steamer to start strake bending. Seems to work well (with wood presoaked). The board is a thick piece of old pine that absorbs the steam and condensation well, and dries quickly. Soft enough to push heavy pins steam bending rubbing strake.jpg the pins in securely. I know this is elementary stuff for the experienced builders out there, but hopefully useful for people coming into the hobby. What makes the hobby so engaging for me is that you can basically create (usually simply) the tools, jigs, and methods for each task. The process of the building (and research for some) is the hobby; the final product is for others to enjoy, and for the builder to feel a sense of satisfaction in a job completed. The frustrations can be used as learning experiences. I've already learned a bit about patience and revisiting mistakes with new ideas. I am sure I'll run into some problems (fitting the coaming and planking) ahead.

Did most of the rough fairing.
Rubbing strakes all steam bent. I decided to put the front deckpiece on before the rubbing strakes to help fine tune their placement. Plans (such as they are) say to do the strakes first but I think the deck in place will help me install them more evenly. Deck helps firm up the model too and makes it easier to hold, visualize, and fair. Using CA cement accelerator is helpful as long as you have the exact placement of the joining pieces clamped (here using hands and fingers for the deck). Plans suggest small nails but they weren't needed with the CA/accelerator. With the sharp bow (and stern) bend for the planks I am adding some additional "ribs" using balsa scrap rather than full blocks.
deck installed.jpg

Making progress on deck and deckhouse wall planking. Mamoli shorted me on the tanganika timber. I ordered some timber from Modeler's Central. Shipping doubled the cost for just a small selection of other timbers I purchased to have in stock. But delivery was competent. Any good American suppliers recommended? Ages of Scale was out of stock for what I needed, but would have been my first choice.
Mamoli recommended deck planks of either 40 or 60mm length on this model but I may just score the butt lines in; not sure the model needs that level of detail as most of any long runs of planking will be either obscured by the coamings or other on-deck furniture. Need some more small clip options. Actually, magnets seem to work in some circumstances; see photo.
deck and house planking.jpg

Back