caveat Caldercraft

I have just assembled the Mary Rose rudder by making pintles from bent wire as it showed in the instruction ssheet.
I now find (too late) there are (what appear to be ) some cast metal pintles that would have made the task simpler and neater.
They are not mentioned in the parts list. Not the first inconsistency.

I'm sorry about your frustrating experience--I've had them myself. I just ordered the Mary Rose yesterday (and the HMS Victory, both by Caldercraft) and look forward to receiving it. I'll keep an eye out for those pintles.

I'm sorry about your frustrating experience--I've had them myself. I just ordered the Mary Rose yesterday (and the HMS Victory, both by Caldercraft) and look forward to receiving it. I'll keep an eye out for those pintles.
Re Mary Rose. I don't know if I did something wrong but I found that the arched openings in the gunport strip were too low to
receive the waist deck gun barrels. I had to increase their height with a file. I had planked up to the top of the bulwarks as instructed.
Perhaps a half plank width extension above this limit might have helped. Check this out when you build.
I hope your lime planks are 600mm long as stated in the parts list. Mine were only 500mm

Re Mary Rose. I don't know if I did something wrong but I found that the arched openings in the gunport strip were too low to
receive the waist deck gun barrels. I had to increase their height with a file. I had planked up to the top of the bulwarks as instructed.
Perhaps a half plank width extension above this limit might have helped. Check this out when you build.
I hope your lime planks are 600mm long as stated in the parts list. Mine were only 500mm
Welcome to ship modeling Short John Bronze! The hobby is full of stories much like yours. With that said, "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!" I look at these situations in a positive light. By solving problems we become better problem solvers. We build our knowledge. The next time we face a similar problem we now have the knowledge to provide us with creative solutions. I never really enjoyed placing "Part A's tab into Part B's slot". I have a 5 year old grandson that can do that.

I've come to view solving all of the problems I run into in my model ship building, some of my own making, as making me smarter and better prepared for that day when I make the decision to eventually start my first scratch model project from plans.

Personally, if I didn't enjoy solving problems I would not be in this hobby. Every problem solved is a victory. When I look at a finished model I reflect on all of those victories as real successes. After all, for me, it's not building a ship. It's the journey.

With all respect, I hope you face many more problems and enjoy solving them. If I didn't face problems to solve, I would be doing something else. It's great exercise for my brain!!

Cheers,
Ken

Where'd you order them from; who actually has them in stock? Thanks. Ilan

Welcome to ship modeling Short John Bronze! The hobby is full of stories much like yours. With that said, "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!" I look at these situations in a positive light. By solving problems we become better problem solvers. We build our knowledge. The next time we face a similar problem we now have the knowledge to provide us with creative solutions. I never really enjoyed placing "Part A's tab into Part B's slot". I have a 5 year old grandson that can do that.

I've come to view solving all of the problems I run into in my model ship building, some of my own making, as making me smarter and better prepared for that day when I make the decision to eventually start my first scratch model project from plans.

Personally, if I didn't enjoy solving problems I would not be in this hobby. Every problem solved is a victory. When I look at a finished model I reflect on all of those victories as real successes. After all, for me, it's not building a ship. It's the journey.

With all respect, I hope you face many more problems and enjoy solving them. If I didn't face problems to solve, I would be doing something else. It's great exercise for my brain!!

Cheers,
Ken
Thanks for that. I too enjoy solving problems, Part of my long gone working life was maintaining an enormous piece of legacy software.
Problem solving became my forte; I loved it. A number of my posts have included devising contraptions for solving problems such as
Ratline tying, parrel threading, plank fixing etc. Those activities have been an enjoyable part of the modelling process.

Cheers,
Ken
Completely agree Ken. Solving the problems is called model building, that's where the "art" comes in otherwise we would just be assemblers.

I have just assembled the Mary Rose rudder by making pintles from bent wire as it showed in the instruction ssheet.
I now find (too late) there are (what appear to be ) some cast metal pintles that would have made the task simpler and neater.
They are not mentioned in the parts list. Not the first inconsistency.
I too have been disappointed with the Mary Rose kit, which I am now building. From what I saw of their Victory kit I was impressed and thought that their quality was very good. The Mary Rose has challenged that as there are many problems with this kit. Ok, perhaps they can be excused on problems of the model representation in view of the fact that the kit is based on info some 20 years old ( The stem height and forecastle and summer castles - but which could have been updated ) but there is no excuse for the quality of the kit parts, in particular the drawings and instructions and the wood strips - my deck planks were just rough cut and caused all sorts of problems getting them lined up, just to name a few.
My two previous kits were of Corel supply and were better than this despite the inevitable small problems normally encountered. In my view Mary Rose is poor value for money ( despite getting it at a well discounted price)
Next time I will buy elsewhere

Back