Cazador Xebec - OcCre 1:60 [COMPLETED BUILD]

I hope that you are as satisfied with the progress which looks so well done at each step of the way as I am in seeing the parts coming together into a whole. Rich
Rich, I think I have looked at it so much lately that I need to step away and come back to it with a fresh set of eyes. There are a few things I see that I want to touch up. ;)

Ok, wrapping up the ships boat, decided to use pulleys and tension that way, instead of recommended rings.

made the fiddly bits...
Then I tensioned ropes and tied and left the coils under the boat, as I imagine it would have been stored. I don’t do perfect coils, as I don’t think that looks realistic. I prefer to wrap excess around the xacto handle and add some glue to coil. Then I slide off and place on deck with a dab of glue. Just my preference, not saying it’s right...lol.
Then I decided to design another decorative piece for the bow, on the gusset I added. I did one for each side (mirrored).

decorative pieces added...

A few overall pics...

Now to start on the masts and yards finally!

Last edited:
Ok, wrapping up the ships boat, decided to use pulleys and tension that way, instead of recommended rings.
View attachment 203093
made the fiddly bits...
View attachment 203094View attachment 203095Then I tensioned ropes and tied and left the coils under the boat, as I imagine it would have been stored. I don’t do perfect coils, as I don’t think that looks realistic. I prefer to wrap excess around the xacto handle and add some glue to coil. Then I slide off and place on deck with a dab of glue. Just my preference, not saying it’s right...lol.
View attachment 203096Then I decided to design another decorative piece for the bow, on the gusset I added. I did one for each side (mirrored).
View attachment 203097View attachment 203098
decorative pieces added...
View attachment 203099
View attachment 203100
A few overall pics...

Now to start on the masts and yards finally!
What type of carving and shaping tools do you for these decorative pieces? This ship is really a work of beauty and small details as with your tension system for the ship's boat. Rich

The ship's boat looks lovely Dean! It looks big though!

What type of carving and shaping tools do you for these decorative pieces? This ship is really a work of beauty and small details as with your tension system for the ship's boat. Rich
I am using an xacto knife and a small jewelers file, and some sand paper. That's about it. In the future I want to do some carving with my dremel tool and tiny dental bits I have.

Now comes some considerable head scratching trying to figure out the tackle blocks and shrouds.
I hope you have Bernard Frolich's book.
Brian, I do not have this book. I have however studied the rigging instructions on multiple occasions, and looked at other builds, and I think I have a very good idea of how to do it properly. Some things are a little hard to see what they are showing, but I will make sense of it soon! ;)
They give you steps at least, that show all the lines. Step A is standing rigging, B is more but looks like stays? C is lines to lift yards, D is lines to turn yards, E is lines for sails... F is belaying points. It looks a little messy, but I think I can manage.
The plans are a bit unclear in a few areas, mostly where all the lines cross to lift the yards, but I am sure once I have them in hand it will make more sense. ;)

Last edited:
Hi Dean,
I see cutting fever hits you! Very well done.
And from other reply’s: step by step, have a rest, sit and look what’s done, smile and speak to yourself: YES, I have done all this till now. And you set your mind and go to the next chapter. Thats what I see in your whole build-log. And you still don’t know what other skills you have ;).
Regards, Peter

Back