Charles W. Morgan - 1:43 scratch

Given the failure of my two previous constructions, I decided to abandon the path of imagination to undertake that of planning.
The choice fell on the Charles W, Morgan which from what I have read was the last sailing whaler.
In another section I described the steps taken to transform a photo into a drawing. now I have transferred everything to CAD and transformed everything according to the 6 mm thickness of the plywood.
The scale was 1:43.
The choice of the ship is due to the fact that ... perhaps .. I understood how to make the boats that tradition called "Dory of the large banks".

CWMorgan_progetto_001.jpg

I tried to wrap the "Dory" the right way, but I have to admit that it's a job beyond my capabilities.
I therefore designed a simplified variant which is within my reach. Here is the drawing..
However, I still have the idea in my head of building the hull of the Dory in a vacuum... but for the moment it remains in the think tank.

dory_001.jpg

Interesting, will pull up a seat and observe your progress

ALEA IACTA EST ...
as Cesare said... since I want to play at being a scratch builder, I decided to leave aside the suitability of other people's work.
So, thanks to the drawings provided by friends, I started to completely design the frames and the false keel.
it's a long process of two steps forward and three steps back.
However, I proceed slowly.
On the other hand, I understood because they charge for the construction plans of the models.

Eugenio o_O :eek:Sick

schermata_01.jpg

After 3 days of work... and a lot of second thoughts... I finally reached the end of the project. frames and false keel.
Having no previous experience, I had to what as they say in Italy.. "discovered hot water"..
However the biggest problem I encountered is shaping the curve of the deck correctly. .
In short, I think I'm on the road to becoming a new scratch builder.
Now I will have to decide which scaling ratio to use.
Overall... I'm satisfied.

Falsa_chiglia_ordinate.jpg

I confess that I have grown old without ever using the 3D function of CAD... but now I have time and I have decided to understand something about it.
I then transferred the 2D drawing to 3D... and I discovered that something in the last three frames on the right are not right... maybe I just reversed them... I'll check tomorrow... now I have to run to get my granddaughter... Hi everyone

schermata_02.jpg

My path towards "scratch" continues.
The previous version didn't convince me and I therefore started the whole drawing again for the umpteenth time.
I increased the frames and completely redid the lines.
Now I have also drawn the side parapet.
I remain curious to see, one day, the construction plans made by the good ones.

schermata_04.jpg

Back