Cheating on block sizes

I'm just doing a block count for the Discovery1789. The blocks come in bags of 25. For the 2.5 to 4.5mm blocks I need lots so ordering a bag is no problem. The larger blocks I don't need so many of each so it becomes expensive and wasteful to order a bag of 25 when I only need 2 of that size. For example, from 5 to 8 mm( 7 sizes) I need 50 blocks. They are $12 a bag which is $84 when I only need 50($24). This is only for the single blocks. I think with the doubles this problem will be worse. How many of you go up or down a size in order to allow for this?

PS I had mentioned earlier that I was going to do this count in the hospital. That didn't work out. I was so drugged up I don't think I could have counted past three o_O In case anyone is interested I had a big tumor on my kidney so they removed it. It turned out to be benign so all is good.

Good on ya. I thought of making my own blocks but it occurred to me that the last ones I made would be so much better than the first ones that I would end up making twice as many. That and 76 year old shaky hands just weren't up to the task. I made a few large (8mm) ones and they were, eh, OK, but Dry Docks blocks just overwhelmed me. Fortunately they are small enough that they don't steal the thunder of the whole build.

I purchased the blocks for my Carrack from HiS in Czech Republic. They sell quality CNC walnut blocks for less than most other quality blocks, and sell them individually, so you can buy 1 or 7 or whatever you need. I've been very happy with them, and received them in the US just 10 days after ordering. And they charged less for shipping than may US companies do!

Yes, I cheat on block sizes. I have found that one’s “eye” does exceptionally well in discerning proper scale. If it looks good it is probably close to scale. Thus one can judge a replacement size block by how well it fits by eye to its placement. So cheating a size can work…but in my experience cheating down a size fits better than cheating up a size. The thing about blocks in my experience, is buying more than you need for your current build only adds to a stash for your next build. I have “extra” blocks that I always use later…eventually the extras are used and I am buying more! I have found that a supply of extra stuff…from blocks to strip wood, eventually gets used…the more models you build the bigger your stash of extra stuff! But that is a problem for another discussion! :)

Last edited:
Yes, I cheat on block sizes. I have found that one’s “eye” does exceptionally well in discerning proper scale. If it looks good it is probably close to scale. Thus one can judge a replacement size block by how well it fits by eye to its placement. So cheating a size can work…but in my experience cheating down a size fits better than cheating up a size.
Agreed. One of the reasons that smaller thingies tend to look better is that many teeny thingies are actually larger than scale. Physics makes it hard to make teeny things to scale! A typical coat of paint is about 20 microns. On a model at 1:100 scale, that would be a paint thickness of 2 mm on the full size vessel. Also remember that there are optical differences in looking at a model and looking at the real thing like depth of field and visual angle. Have fun!

Back