Chop saw

My most useful electric tool is my 2 inch mini chop saw, I can cut all my repetitive sizes exactly to the same size, like deck planking, pillars etc etc. Very useful bit of equipment.
Paul

My most useful electric tool is my 2 inch mini chop saw, I can cut all my repetitive sizes exactly to the same size, like deck planking, pillars etc etc. Very useful bit of equipment.
Paul
Hy Paul, can you share photos of your most useful tool? Where do you get replacement blades?

Proxxon has one

83418_R-1.jpg

Hy Paul, can you share photos of your most useful tool? Where do you get replacement blades?
Hi Jim It's the basic chop saw as other modellers use but not very expensive, just made the little bench with it so I could repeat cuts, as you can see I work in a very basic way and not too organised. Just looked it up on ebay.
Paul

001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg

There are some good manual chop saws or miter cutters.

Cutter.jpg

schneidegeraet-proses-ptc-105-m-1233501.jpg

mitercut2.jpgmitersaw2.jpg

Last edited:
There are some good manual chop saws or miter cutters.

This tool looks like hard work, would build your muscles up. With my chop saw and stop block I can cut say all the pieces for 30 gun carriages, parts 120 wheels etc plus all the support parts with a chop, chop, like Henry Ford model T. Paul

I have tried a few of the razor blade "choppers",
rE6HQyQ.jpg

the best quality I think being the RP Toolz one
qVuizWw.jpg

That said, all the blade type choppers leave the cut ends slightly beveled.

I got the cheap Mini Mitre saw from Harbor Freight for $37.09 and a pack of extra blades for $10.59. It's not as fancy as the Proxxon model at $259.00 and probably not as well built, but I've used mine for quite a while now with excellent results.
TepNleB.jpg

Built an extension table for mine with a long fence.

EJ

I have tried a few of the razor blade "choppers",
rE6HQyQ.jpg

the best quality I think being the RP Toolz one
qVuizWw.jpg

That said, all the blade type choppers leave the cut ends slightly beveled.

I got the cheap Mini Mitre saw from Harbor Freight for $37.09 and a pack of extra blades for $10.59. It's not as fancy as the Proxxon model at $259.00 and probably not as well built, but I've used mine for quite a while now with excellent results.
TepNleB.jpg

Built an extension table for mine with a long fence.

EJ
Many thanks for the comparison - very helpful Thumbs-Up

Looking at the various commercial miniature chop saws available if found them to be less than impressive. Too much plastic in critical locations and cumbersome in their designs, so I decided to design and build my own.

20180302_144252.jpg

20180503_163422.jpg20180503_154858.jpg

It's turned out to be very nice to use, rigid and precise. It can cut up to a 1" square piece of hardwood easily. I designed it around a variable speed 1a sewing machine motor, controlled with a foot switch. This is nice as it frees up both hands to work the saw.

Back