Clamps?

Hello All! I am abeginning modeler and have found this forum invaluable! Thank you all for sharing your expertise, As a beginner, I am encountering all the small challenges that face us all in building these beauties. One of my biggest one right now is finding clamps. I have the basic Model Expo and Micro - Mark offerings buy am looking for more variety. Can anyone offer suggestions for a resource? It would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again for your help and Happy Holidays (Christmas in my case) to all!

Doesn't really matter how many clamps or what type they are. In my experience of modelling for over sixty years I find that I always run across a job that I don't have the "perfect clamp" for. You will always find that you will be inventing your own methods of holding parts in place using small blocks, elastics, string, or nails that will be extracted later, combined with the clamps that are already in your tool box.

Hello Gregory,

I don’t know if you’ll find any one resource for model clamps that will fulfill all your modelling needs. Hobby stores have many variations of clamps and sometimes it’s a matter of trial and error to see what works for a particular purpose. Many times you don’t need to buy those expensive clamps to meet your requirements, you can make them.

I have a box full of various clamps from the simplistic elastic band to the Berna type plastic pressure clamp and many others in between. I even use small velcro pieces that came something I found years ago. The ones I find most useful are the old fashioned wooden laundry pegs, inverted paper clips and long nose plastic clamps. The wonderful thing about those cheap wood laundry pegs is you can cut and carve the ends to shape for the job in hand. Being soft wood they provide mild pressure preventing marring of the wood model pieces.

I’ll attach a photo of just a few of the clamps I use to give you some ideas. My most used and versatile one is simply finger pressure :D.

4EC35C61-F9DE-420D-BB79-DA4AB7A6FF86.jpeg

Hello All! I am abeginning modeler and have found this forum invaluable! Thank you all for sharing your expertise, As a beginner, I am encountering all the small challenges that face us all in building these beauties. One of my biggest one right now is finding clamps. I have the basic Model Expo and Micro - Mark offerings buy am looking for more variety. Can anyone offer suggestions for a resource? It would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again for your help and Happy Holidays (Christmas in my case) to all!
Thank you!

I have several of these smaller clamps. These are fairly small. I like them as they are much deeper than the regular clamps. Can clamp further in.
LINK

And some of these (much larger) and deeper in clamping
LINK

which kind of model will or do you build?
Means which size will have the parts, wood or plastic which have to be clamped together?

Hola a todos. No cabe duda de que hay mucho que aprender y les agradezco el que compartan tanta información que es indispensable. Practiqué el modelismo de joven y veo que es una actividad muy apropiada ahora. Ya llevo 5 modelos diferentes pero el velero que estoy haciendo se me complicó. Estaré apoyándome con ustedes. Buen día.

You can NEVER have enough clamps. I stroll through discount / dollar stores, every isle. Look at everything and can I use it. Wooden clothes pins ( can be tapered down for a needle nose clip ). Storage containers with adjustable dividers for smaller parts. Tooth picks for small amounts of glue.

the list can go on & on…..

big thing, ENJOY THE HOBBY.

These clips are found in fabric shops (or my wife’s sewing room). Used them in about every build so far. Inexpensive, light weight, good but not crushing pressure. This thread was very helpful-thanks!

Clips.jpg

I made a simpler version of this clamp (similar to some violin clamps I saw on ebay)... Just some 1 inch poplar dowelling cut and drilled and I then just use some bolts, washers and wing nuts with dowels on both sides of the frames.

You can buy some on eBay for a stooopid amount or you could make your own for a few cents apiece like I did

20221127_130351.jpg

Last edited:
One multi use clamp is the good old "binder clip" black triangle shape with spring handles on each side, for holding stacks of paper together.

You can them them cheap, from the office or office supply and in many sizes as needed.
And they can easily be converted to what looks like a good planking clamp:

Back