• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

Clear coat on a painted hull?

Joined
Mar 19, 2026
Messages
281
Points
168

Location
Stockbridge, MA
What do people think about applying a clear coat to a a painted hull? I am building the Model Expo Harriet Lane kit, which has flat black topsides and copper paint below the waterline. I haven't clear coated my previous models, but I am thinking the flat black paint may need some protection while I complete the build.. Any thoughts on yes or no, and if yes, what to use?

Thanks,
Tom
 
What do people think about applying a clear coat to a a painted hull? I am building the Model Expo Harriet Lane kit, which has flat black topsides and copper paint below the waterline. I haven't clear coated my previous models, but I am thinking the flat black paint may need some protection while I complete the build.. Any thoughts on yes or no, and if yes, what to use?

Thanks,
Tom
I can't see any reason why not. When I coppered the hull of my constitution cross section I clear coated it and the rest of the hull. If I remember correctly I used testor's dullcote. Any coating that is compatible with the paint you use should be fine. I would not use an enamel based product over an acrylic.

Rob
 
Back
Top