Coasting steamer

Robert....I'm still fascinated by how much detail you can cram into these miniature ships.
I was reviewing your book again last night and I'm still curious as to how you get your solder to not clump when soldering your ratlines that are so small.
Do you use an area torch to evenly heat the entire soldered shrouds/ratlines?

Rob

Don't know what an area torch is. Probably the problem you are having is in the solder itself. Modern solders are not much good, as they will not "run" proreply. I use 60/40 tin/lead from Ebay.
Bob

That's been my problem......poor solder *running* or a good capillary reaction. Poor flux application too probably. An area torch is nothing more then a hand bottle torch with a wide nozzle to apply a broad flame pattern. 60/40 tin/lead solder....do you have a website for me?
Thanks.

Rob

No, because it is not finished yet. I need to make the oars for the lifeboats, French Polish all the base and display case veneer, and paint the sea. They are all built in a similar manner anyway. Here is a FREE download link that contains plans and general instrcutions for building the tug SA Everard. https://payhip.com/b/krO6 When the link opens, scroll down a bit to read the synopsis. Under the image, there is a download button labelled "This item is free!" The synopsis has now been read 8,032 times, but only 405 people have actually downloaded it. Several have successfully built the tug without any great difficulty, but I don't know about the other 400! o_O
Bob
SA Everard (Large).jpg

I made a shroud jig similar to yours but it wasn't as precise and didn't make the tiniest of shrouds. It was all a test bed for the process.
I want to make a much larger jig with better adjustments. Getting the solder to flow better is my biggest issue to overcome.

Rob

Back