Coils of rope

I'm doing my guns and trying to get nice coils for the side rigging. What I'm wondering is if most people use fake coils? Like make up a bunch of coils and then cut the tag end off short and then glue a coil on top of it. My hands are just to big and shaky to try to make a coil close to the gun.

I'm doing my guns and trying to get nice coils for the side rigging. What I'm wondering is if most people use fake coils? Like make up a bunch of coils and then cut the tag end off short and then glue a coil on top of it. My hands are just to big and shaky to try to make a coil close to the gun.
I have seen many techniques for making coils and I will add mine for making coils that lay on the deck. Leave an extra long tail on the end of the line for a coil. Find the dowel with a diameter of the coil and wax or otherwise coat a couple of inches at the end so glue won't stick. Hold the end of the dowel close to where the coil will go and wrap a number of turns of the line around it. Paint the line with the least amont of diluted PVC glue or matte acrylic varnish (my preference) you need for the turns to adhere together. Put a dab of the same glue/varnish material on deck where the coil will go. Slide the coil off the dowel with tweezers into the spot where you put the glue. Hold it in place for a few minutes until the glue sets then cut off any excess. Good luck.

Back