Colour of hulls

A ship gets dirty. White is very unnatural. A mixture of white, light brown and yellow works well if you age your ship. Same goes for the sails.
Hello Jeanco. The statement is subjective, and how the model painted should depends on how we want the model represent. It will not make cense to make hull dirty and display the model on pedestals.

Hi,
I used copper tape available at stained glass shops. I had to etch. The plates and indents for the bolts. Then applied the strips of etched plates to the hull. It beats putting individual plates on.

I have a short end of a roll of the copper tape, which is over 25 years old, stored in an un- heated garage and is still bright. I've often wondered what the life is for the adhesive backing, especially on compound curves. No idea where mine came from.

Thanks Bob. White is definitely out for me since there is some proof the HMS Bounty actually had copper plates. One responder stated copper plating may be available for modelling. I will research that. Bill
Yes, Bounty was copper plated (found amongst the burnt wreckage)

On a similar theme, but French! The way I did my hull 30 years ago no longer pleases me, and I want to redo it a bit more realistically. Any suggestions what the French were doing in the early/mid 1800s? Contemporary pictures don't show below the waterline, and the positioning of the gun-ports makes one wonder if the model is of the same ship! I think it's too late to do the upper hull, but waterline downwards should be possible. Did they use cuivre or 'truc blanc'?

IMG_8593[1] (2).jpeg

image-astrolabe5.jpg

I would imagine the expensive monographs by Boudrot (?sp) cover the subject at length.

Bill, there is copper patterned tape/strips that I’ve seen mentioned in other builds. Have you considered looking into that option? That would give a really nice finish on the hull. Not overly confident in the look of copper paint on the hull. Might look awesome but have not seen a build yet with that copper paint finish. I’m sure whatever you choose to do will look good.
I am very interested in copper tape. Do you have the name of a supplier?

hi
The tape is available at any stained glass hobby shop.
I took two pieces of hull planks and spaced them apart the width of the copper tape then glued two more hull planks on top of the first two but overlapping slightly into the space for the tape. Then run a length of tape into the tape space. Use a pointed, not sharp, stylus to scratch lightly across the tape to the length of each tile of copper you are creating. The next thing is to use the stylus to mark the simulated bolts on each tile.
I put 4 on each side with one at each end in the middle.
Hope this helps. I will check to see if I have the jig and post a photo.

hi
The tape is available at any stained glass hobby shop.
I took two pieces of hull planks and spaced them apart the width of the copper tape then glued two more hull planks on top of the first two but overlapping slightly into the space for the tape. Then run a length of tape into the tape space. Use a pointed, not sharp, stylus to scratch lightly across the tape to the length of each tile of copper you are creating. The next thing is to use the stylus to mark the simulated bolts on each tile.
I put 4 on each side with one at each end in the middle.
Hope this helps. I will check to see if I have the jig and post a photo.
Thank you

Back