Completed Canoe Builds

19-inch Cherry
probably made in 2019.

_DSC6458.jpg

Here is one of the early pieces back around year 2000 (maybe earlier).
14" which was the size for the original kit I designed back then.

canoered3JPG.jpg

And another one (about 20 years old as well).

1 NR crop (1 of 1) j.jpg

G.

Last edited:
Well, this 19-inch strip planked canoe built within the scope of this group build project is done:
31 hours for the basic model, to which must be added 20 hours just for the +900 nails.
Added 4 eye-bolts and rings (one at each end and one on each deck), simulated hanging seats and carved yoke.

Lumber used ...
- Cherry: strip planking, gunwales, ribs, seats and decorative trims.
- Basswood: contrast strips within the planking.
- Birch: decks and yoke.

All metal work ...
- Brass: simulated clinched nails, seats hanging rods, eye-bolts.

_DSC1439 aa.jpg

_DSC1438 aa.jpg

_DSC1449 aa.jpg

Including the paddles...

_DSC1479 aa.jpg

G.

Attachments

• _DSC1474 aa.jpg
    _DSC1474 aa.jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Well, this 19-inch strip planked canoe built within the scope of this group build project is done:
31 hours for the basic model, to which must be added 20 hours just for the +900 nails.
Added 4 eye-bolts and rings (one at each end and one on each deck), simulated hanging seats and carved yoke.

Lumber used ...

All metal work ...

View attachment 171887

View attachment 171889

View attachment 171891

G.
That is a great finish to your venture. Well stroked!!! PT-2

That is a great finish to your venture. Well stroked!!! PT-2
Thank you Richard
Amazing ! This is where I want to go :)
Very nice the contrasting wood, perfect work of art, extra fine detailing.
And great presentation with the wooden find.
matz
Thank you Matz,
I am sure your model will turn out just as well.
Very impressive, Gilles!
Thank you.

To anyone interested...
The stand can be made from driftwood as well as river rocks, etc..... adding some dry vegetation or moss does complement the model nicely. You can go big or small.
Here is a sample display base: the board at the bottom is 20 inches long and again your imagination will be the only things stopping you.

_DSC5420.jpg

G

Thank you Richard

Thank you Matz,
I am sure your model will turn out just as well.

Thank you.

To anyone interested...
The stand can be made from driftwood as well as river rocks, etc..... adding some dry vegetation or moss does complement the model nicely. You can go big or small.
Here is a sample display base: the board at the bottom is 20 inches long and again your imagination will be the only things stopping you.

View attachment 172087

G
I can smell the wet forest moss from here. Artistic talent always appreciated. We are just changing our medium from painting, sculpture wood or stone, ceramics, etc . . . to boats and their presentation creating a 3-D painting of our own. PT-2

Reminds me of the way we set out canoes to dry and use as shelters for overnight trips!

We would hook tarp to bottom gunwale and roll over back of canoe and tie out to make short lean too and crawl under with blankets for short sleep on multi-day trips down river!

Reminds me of the way we set out canoes to dry and use as shelters for overnight trips!

We would hook tarp to bottom gunwale and roll over back of canoe and tie out to make short lean too and crawl under with blankets for short sleep on multi-day trips down river!
Yep. . . those small wrap-over shelters can become really serious mosquito traps as well!!!! I found out the hard way up in the Cascades, I didn't even need a canoe to do it stupidly camping too close and low to a beautiful mountain lake. I had tried to get the "tent" oriented to the evening breezes for venting/cooling after a hot day but that did not deter the blood-thirsty little critters. PT-2 I like the new photo though.

Lumber used ...

All metal work ...

View attachment 171887

View attachment 171889

View attachment 171891

Including the paddles...

View attachment 172435

G.
Looking back again as I am just now cutting my bulkheads to mount and fair before planking, I a grateful to be able to look back at your canoes at various stages and appreciate the experience and skill that you have gained across the years and scores of canoes and kayaks boats as well as presentations. PT-2

Looking back again as I am just now cutting my bulkheads to mount and fair before planking, I a grateful to be able to look back at your canoes at various stages and appreciate the experience and skill that you have gained across the years and scores of canoes and kayaks boats as well as presentations. PT-2

The small "water crafts" (canoes, kayaks and small rowboats) along with vintage runabouts, sailboats, cruisers are a prelude to bigger models. They have been a training ground for the larger stuff. Most people do not realize or believe in this or are in too much of a hurry to go on to wooden model ship building with the "sexy multi-deck, lots of guns and decorations" ship: it may be ok for some but not the average builder.
Unfortunately, I have no photo record of much or any of that, most everything I have built since the early 80's has ended up in private collections.

429 aa.jpg

G

Last edited:
The small "water crafts" (canoes, kayaks and small rowboats) along with vintage runabouts, sailboats, cruisers are a prelude to bigger models. They have been a training ground for the larger stuff. Most people do not realize or believe in this or are in too much of a hurry to go on to wooden model ship building with the "sexy multi-deck, lots of guns and decorations" ship: it may be ok for some but not the average builder.
Unfortunately, I have no photo record of much or any of that, most everything I have built since the early 80's has ended up in private collections.

View attachment 173395

G
At least you know that they have safe harbors with appreciative owners and not cast off rotting on some faraway shoal. PT-2

Back