Completed Canoe Builds

Perfection in the crafting as well as presentation! PT-2
Come on guys. I am sure that more of us are in the midst of the build at some stage. I would like to see how things are going with our fleet of fleet floaty boaties. I can always learn some new strokes to keep my bowline what it should be heading. ; -)) PT-2

Come on guys. I am sure that more of us are in the midst of the build at some stage. I would like to see how things are going with our fleet of fleet floaty boaties. I can always learn some new strokes to keep my bowline what it should be heading. ; -)) PT-2

I think the canoe is not challenging enough: no guns, no carvings and no rigging.
So maybe what we need to show is a canoe loaded with hunting gear: guns, duck decoys, tie-ropes at each end and an anchor!
G

Last edited:
I think the canoe is not challenging enough: no guns, no carvings and no rigging.
So maybe what we need to show is a canoe loaded with hunting gear: guns, duck decoys, tie-ropes at each end and an anchor!
G
This may be a small lumber build but I smell the outdoors and hear the wildlife every minute which is recollection reward enough for me but I like your expedition/trip manifesto. PT-2

This may be a small lumber build but I smell the outdoors and hear the wildlife every minute which is recollection reward enough for me but I like your expedition/trip manifesto. PT-2
OK paddles done and ready to splash up some waterfowl along the course while otherwise going: plash . . J-stroke, plash . . . J-stroke. . . . plash J-stroke. . . . . glide. . . . . . PT-2

Three canoes built for this "group built" project: there will likely be one more in the near future.
Just having some fun showing the models in a natural setting until I can actually include water in the images.
19-inch

_DSC2437 aa.jpg

Two 17-inch models in two different looks

_DSC2448 aa.jpg

G.

Three canoes built for this "group built" project: there will likely be one more in the near future.
Just having some fun showing the models in a natural setting until I can actually include water in the images.
19-inch

View attachment 177624

Two 17-inch models in two different looks

View attachment 177625

G.
I really like the natural setting and presentation of both. Beautifully done!!! PT-2

Although #4 is not quite ready for display, it is in the varnishing stage, here is a view of the fleet of canoes I have been able to build on my spare time since this group build began: and to try to motivate group members to work on their's. Some may say that I have a lot of spare time.... well not really .... it is a matter of time management and I do not sleep that much ....
And they still need a display base each.
...Anyways.

_DSC2718 tiff aa.jpg

A couple close-up images

Canoe #2
_DSC2691 aa.jpg

Canoe #1

_DSC2699 aa.jpg

I have enough pear to build one more .... we'll see.
But, I need more of that wood as I do not think I will be using anything else from now on.

G

Although #4 is not quite ready for display, it is in the varnishing stage, here is a view of the fleet of canoes I have been able to build on my spare time since this group build began: and to try to motivate group members to work on their's. Some may say that I have a lot of spare time.... well not really .... it is a matter of time management and I do not sleep that much ....
And they still need a display base each.
...Anyways.

View attachment 180868

A couple close-up images

Canoe #2
View attachment 180870

Canoe #1

View attachment 180872

I have enough pear to build one more .... we'll see.
But, I need more of that wood as I do not think I will be using anything else from now on.

G
I like the variations between your fleet's canoes. Some subtle and others more apparent depending upon how close and how long I look. You have been a great stimulus to the group with your guidance and illustrations of your work which I am sure have stimulated a lot of independent thinking as other canoes are built. It is obvious to me that your long experience has made your "speed" of progress with each one feasible, as well as good eyesight. I am having problems with my own vision now and more unwanted deviations are beginning to show up. I still need to tell myself more often to put it down and come back later. Some mistakes are recoverable, others like some of the misplaced ribs too well set with the CA glue which I am afraid would really damage the now thin sanded hull. I am just having to adjust as best as I can with continuing spacing and live with others which is not a good rationale.
PT-2

I like the variations between your fleet's canoes. Some subtle and others more apparent depending upon how close and how long I look. You have been a great stimulus to the group with your guidance and illustrations of your work which I am sure have stimulated a lot of independent thinking as other canoes are built. It is obvious to me that your long experience has made your "speed" of progress with each one feasible, as well as good eyesight. I am having problems with my own vision now and more unwanted deviations are beginning to show up. I still need to tell myself more often to put it down and come back later. Some mistakes are recoverable, others like some of the misplaced ribs too well set with the CA glue which I am afraid would really damage the now thin sanded hull. I am just having to adjust as best as I can with continuing spacing and live with others which is not a good rationale.
PT-2
Here are a few "midday" photos of the faux marsh with the Mahogany stripper. The prior photos were just as the sun was setting while these have a higher aspect for different lighting but still crude photos from my iPhone and without a black backdrop . . just the patio table where my daughter wanted to take the same views on her camera..Midday Marsh Board.jpg
You may notice the underwater moss clumps which are covered when the canoe is placed.Midday Canoe Banked.jpg
Banked looking to the sternMidday Canoe Forward Section.jpg
Banked looking toward the bow nextMdday Banked Canoe looking forward.jpg
I am not sure how I will present a third one in Pear when I receive the lumber order and begin the build as I am now going to move over to continuing the early stages of my Bluenose build. PT-2

And here is canoe #5 for me: entirely made of pear wood.

The shape is basically as per the construction guide.
I did alter a couple of things from the other 4:
- the decks are more simple (not my normal top shaped profile)
- the inside side-strip is located a bit higher.
- as indicated elsewhere, the outside of the hull was treated with a gloss spar varnish.
- the seats' material is slightly different in size, texture and colour, but weaving is the same.
- Not one single nail to be found anywhere is this one.

Some close-up images.
First some views of the inside (treated with water based semi-gloss varnish...

_DSC3316 aa.jpg

_DSC3323 aa.jpg

_DSC3326 aa.jpg

And then, the gloss finish: oil (spar) gloss varnish...

_DSC3318 aa.jpg

More canoes will be made as I need to build at least a dozen before spring.

G.

And some more views of #5:
You will notice that I have also included half-ribs

View attachment 186085

View attachment 186087

View attachment 186088

View attachment 186089

G
You have the production at a very high level of build and finishing along with your varied thoughts of what may be included in each one giving us a lot of variations/options to consider in our own going forward and not plagarizing yours. OH, it wasn't your face but your thumb reflection. PT-2

You have the production at a very high level of build and finishing along with your varied thoughts of what may be included in each one giving us a lot of variations/options to consider in our own going forward and not plagarizing yours. OH, it wasn't your face but your thumb reflection. PT-2
The option are endless (literally) to personalized the model.
Again, although it may seem otherwise, a canoe model is quite simple and a good practice for basic results one may need to achieve in more elaborate models: if only to get some experience working with wood:
Very important:
working with good quality lumber as this alone can make a big difference in the actual construction process and the final results.
G

Back