computers and model building

In my opinion is easier to talk with an pc repair guy who can give you the best option
one soft solution -a proffesional can make you on a new pc with modern OS a virtual machine of the old OS compatible with old files and drivers.
one hard solution -see what you can clean in the old computer and use it just for cnc ( in romania are still business who uses old flexible diskettes verry old stuff on same old computers used just for work and no internet and stuff
Kind regards,Daniel

one hard solution -see what you can clean in the old computer and use it just for cnc

I have done exactly that; an old computer with windows 7 is used only with my cnc router. It has old version of Acad to draw what you want to cut and no other software or connection to internet.

Uno de mis viejos dichos es "errar es humano, equivocarse requiere una computadora"

Trabajo para el ejército y me canso de intentar abrir correos electrónicos antiguos para validar hechos sobre un tema solo para que la computadora diga que no puedo abrir el correo electrónico anterior porque el certificado de seguridad de los usuarios ha caducado.

el problema es la velocidad de cambios tecnológicos. Las cosas evolucionan a una velocidad imposible, sobretodo para el bolsillo

One of my old sayings is "to err is human, to err requires a computer"

I work for the military and get tired of trying to open old emails to validate facts on a subject only to have the computer say I can't open the old email because the users security certificate has expired.
el problema es la velocidad de cambios tecnológicos. Las cosas evolucionan a una velocidad imposible, sobretodo para el bolsillo

i never store data files on a computer i store everything on external hard drives and back up the external with a second external drive.

a friend of mine runs older Windows as a dedicated system for his CNC lathe and mill. it is used only for that and nothing else.

i do not mess around with computers i alway take them into a shop and let the tech guys do their thing.

as smart phones get smarter there is less and less desk top home computers around, none of my kids have desk top computers anymore. Desk top computers these days are for running machines like CNC mills, lathes, 3d printers or as work stations for 3D modeing and CAD work image and video editing. i have noticed computer repair shops are going the way of hobby shops i am seeing less and less of them.

i have hard drives sitting around and a friend told me to look into docks for hard drives.

i does get confusing my computers have 2 or 3 drives on the C drive is the OP system on the D drive is where the programs are installed on the F drive are all the files, the E drive is an external back up of F. So i wanted to take the D drive with all the older programs and put it into another computer and the tech guy said that will not work unless you run the older D drive with all your programs in a shell within the newer OP system, if the new computer resonized the D drive or dock it to the new system or just keep rebuilding the old computer.

but then again the software is getting smarter and smarter and it knows what computer system it was installed on

Last edited:
i never store data files on a computer i store everything on external hard drives and back up the external with a second external drive.

a friend of mine runs older Windows as a dedicated system for his CNC lathe and mill. it is used only for that and nothing else.

i do not mess around with computers i alway take them into a shop and let the tech guys do their thing.

as smart phones get smarter there is less and less desk top home computers around, none of my kids have desk top computers anymore. Desk top computers these days are for running machines like CNC mills, lathes, 3d printers or as work stations for 3D modeing and CAD work image and video editing. i have noticed computer repair shops are going the way of hobby shops i am seeing less and less of them.

i have hard drives sitting around and a friend told me to look into docks for hard drives.

i does get confusing my computers have 2 or 3 drives on the C drive is the OP system on the D drive is where the programs are installed on the F drive are all the files, the E drive is an external back up of F. So i wanted to take the D drive with all the older programs and put it into another computer and the tech guy said that will not work unless you run the older D drive with all your programs in a shell within the newer OP system, if the new computer resonized the D drive or dock it to the new system or just keep rebuilding the old computer.

but then again the software is getting smarter and smarter and it know what computer system it was installed on
I too use external hard drives extensively. I backup everything periodically and I particularly like solid state hard drives - no motors or moving parts. And they're inexpensive.

I have a simplification. Check to see if you have a “makers space” near you. For a monthly fee, these places often have everything you could possibly need except for specialized things such as miniature thickness sanders or really small lathes. There’s usually people there that are happy to help and most new tools are friendly enough to use whatever format you want to design in. Laser cutters, CNC, 3d printing, that kind of stuff along with full scale woodwork, welding. Anything you need for prototype fabrication.
So unless you are in a fairly remote area or really just want to have the tools at home, consider it. A place in San Diego is “Makeatorium”. Check it out online, it might give you ideas for local places.
Just a thought.
Otherwise, outsourcing fabrication can lead to some very nice design-custom fabrication solutions and you don’t have to own/figure out/maintain it all.
Just a little outside the box.

Gee Phil, why not just back up to the floppy drives or in my Commodore days, the cassette tape recorder on the Vic 20!

I like the new solid state hard drives, not prone to failures of old spinning disk drives.

But then you can also pay for cloud service and have them saved out there, just in case you loose the house.

Dan,
Have you tried running the program using the compatibility feature. Right click the software file or icon and under Properties > Compatibility>Compatibility mode>Run this program in compatibility mode for: (choose Win version)

Totally agree with the frustration, seems we are going back to the 90's where not everyone in the sandbox played nicely.

Adobe has my vote for greedy. Actually accessing my computer and disabling Flash without my permission! :mad: They don't support the software anymore and now want people to stop using it. Imagine if FORD said stop using your 289 engine because we stopped making them.

Gee Phil, why not just back up to the floppy drives or in my Commodore days, the cassette tape recorder on the Vic 20!

I like the new solid state hard drives, not prone to failures of old spinning disk drives.

But then you can also pay for cloud service and have them saved out there, just in case you loose the house.
You know, I could...I have a couple of ancient PC's out thre and a whole stack ofhard drives....my past included me as a tech support engineer at Hewlett Packard Disk Mechanisms Division where they manufactured drives...

All cheer the Vic 20! I later upgraded to an Atari 400. What a piece of garbage. lol

Back