Cone shape object

Can someone explain to me what is this cone shape hanging on this picture was used for?.
This picture is an WWI Sub Chaser
Screen Shot 2023-02-22 at 12.51.06 PM.png

Last edited:
Maybe part of message pendant, used when orders were past by flags from command ship to others in convoy.
Thanks Kurt:
I thought so.
I was under the impression that it has to be some sort of signal to comunícate with other ships around.
I read somewhere that it had two of these rigged to the main mast. One red cone to port and one green ball to starboard.
Could they be to indicate speed or turns?

Gracias Kurt:
Ya me lo imaginaba.
Tenía la impresión de que tenía que ser algún tipo de señal para comunicarse con otras naves alrededor.
Leí en alguna parte que tenía dos de estos amarrados al mástil principal. Un cono rojo a babor y una bola verde a estribor.
¿Podrían ser para indicar velocidad o giros?
Es bueno saber esto, ¿cuándo comenzó a usarse "Day Shapes"?

In modern day, that cone would indicate the direction of fishing gear on a fishing vessel, but I'm sure the navy uses those for specific information.
That would be more the status of a vessel than an individual signal, like engaged in mine clearing or so...

Since the vessel is a Sub Chaser (SC), the inverted cone dayshape would probably indicate that they have some gear in the water on the side the dayshape is rigged. The colors would reinforce the side, ie. Stbd-green; port-red during operations.

EDIT: I did some searching on the Internet and saw where someone wrote that the subchaser worked in groups of three and the dayshapes were used for some sort of communications, Also, they were manned by USCG personnel (under the Navy umbrella during wartime). The USCGC Cutter "General Greene" was a "110" (size of the vessel). Since the SCs were 110' in length I suspect they were turned over to the CG after the war. The CG used them for SAR and offshore patrol. I have no documentation. This is speculation on my part. Also, I saw that Squadron/Signal pubs had a book about Sub Chasers. Thats probably where all the answers to these questions can be found.

Last edited:
Wow that is interesting, since the SC used to drop listening divises in the water called K-Pipes.
I build one of these divides for the model I’m building.
Later on today I will post all of the advance I have done, it’s almost finished.
Creating scratch built items has hold me up a bit.

Last edited:
Since the vessel is a Sub Chaser (SC), the inverted cone dayshape would probably indicate that they have some gear in the water on the side the dayshape is rigged. The colors would reinforce the side, ie. Stbd-green; port-red during operations.

EDIT: I did some searching on the Internet and saw where someone wrote that the subchaser worked in groups of three and the dayshapes were used for some sort of communications, Also, they were manned by USCG personnel (under the Navy umbrella during wartime). The USCGC Cutter "General Greene" was a "110" (size of the vessel). Since the SCs were 110' in length I suspect they were turned over to the CG after the war. The CG used them for SAR and offshore patrol. I have no documentation. This is speculation on my part. Also, I saw that Squadron/Signal pubs had a book about Sub Chasers. Thats probably where all the answers to these questions can be found.
As a former Coast Guard member, it was probably a Coast Guard vessel from the beginning. Most Coast Guard Vessels are also equipted for Naval service if War breaks out. We not only trained in Search and Rescue and Law Enforcement proceedures, we must also be trained in Military rediness. At least anually, most larger Coast Guard vessels participate in Refresher Training for military reddiness directly with the Navy....Basically, just paint the coast guard vessels gray and they are ready for military action.

This is the Subchaser I’m building, SC-96.
If you zoom in the picture, you will notice the the K-Tube Frame attached to the side of the pilot cabin.
0FAB0941-95D3-4E7E-A603-CB6445E3F1F3.jpeg
This is a close up picture of the listening devise.
06A50FDE-31BB-4AFB-8415-E8AC0F93E1EB.jpeg
This is my scratched built version.
It has four hydrophones, two at the bottom and two on top of the frame.
9BF3FD9B-F1F1-4C73-9A51-ACD802D55EAC.jpeg5B922F04-A958-4854-AFA6-4CB360B0C494.jpeg

As a former Coast Guard member, it was probably a Coast Guard vessel from the beginning. Most Coast Guard Vessels are also equipted for Naval service if War breaks out. We not only trained in Search and Rescue and Law Enforcement proceedures, we must also be trained in Military rediness. At least anually, most larger Coast Guard vessels participate in Refresher Training for military reddiness directly with the Navy....Basically, just paint the coast guard vessels gray and they are ready for military action.
I graduated from the CG Academy and was in for 10 years after that.

Back