Construction Vs Finish work

The last 10 years of my 40-year working carrier were in the Building Trades specifically Homes, I worked as a Manager, and my love Finish Carpentry!! You could say what does this have to do with Model Ship Building! Well, a Finish Carpenter has the responsibility to fix all the errors that accrued during the building of a home out of plumb windows and doors, crooked off-center angles, you name it you had to deal with it!! and at the end, it had to look like it was constructed perfectly! homeowners are tough critics. I apply these technics and the basic approach that there is nothing that can not be fixed to look like it's perfect!! I try to construct my models as best as I can initially but the better job you do the less cosmetic / fixing you will need to do. I am constructing a bluff bow ship I have determined that there is no way to run your planking from stem to stern at least on the La Soleil Royal by ZHL. I also decided I would not run my planking up into the above planking as the planks want to do!!! so I will give the ship the allusion that the planks are Individual planks running from stem to stern but in reality, I will use drop planks at 3mm at the bow and as wide as 18mm on the hull side using Veneer shaped to fit. I will stager the butt joints in the drop planks and use the grain running along the plank to visually look like seams?? My point is we are usually our own worst enemies and critics!! How it is constructed is important but how it looks when it is finished is the final reward how you get there is on you as the builder.

Back