Converting a plank-on-bulkhead kit to a waterline model

Hello! Has anybody attempted to convert a perfectly good plank- on-frame ship model to a waterline model. I mean starting from scratch, not cutting the bottom off an already-built hull. The most immediate issue is how to maintain the correct height and spacing of the bulkheads.
Any suggestions on how to proceed?
Thanks

Hello! Has anybody attempted to convert a perfectly good plank- on-frame ship model to a waterline model. I mean starting from scratch, not cutting the bottom off an already-built hull. The most immediate issue is how to maintain the correct height and spacing of the bulkheads.
Thanks
Hi

Plank on frame or plank on bulkhead , they are not the same construction type.

If I were to attempt this... I would build a Plank-On-Bulkhead model. Complete the hull entirely, cut it off at the waterline, plank over the bottom, and then finish the model. In the long run this would be the easiest method and probably the only way to keep everything lined up.

Why not cut a hole out in the 'water' so the hull sits in the display without modification?

Because then it wouldn't be a "waterline model"... LOL..

Actually Nigel's idea is better. Unlike the waterline series of ship models we see in the plastic world of 1:700 and 1:350 scale, we typically don't see waterline type wooden ship models.

I have seen a large scale diorama of the battle of Trafalgar.The base was cut to allow the models to sit in avoiding the complication of cutting the models.Also the ships were heeled over to represent the direction of the wind.Not so easy to do when you are chopping the bottom off.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Many thanks for the replies. Yes, I meant plank on bulkhead, not plank on frame. Mrshanks, I may go with your idea, but only plank down to the main wale, then cut off the unplanked keel and bulkhead areas, and fill in the bits below the wale. That would keep everything aligned, plus I could reinforce potential areas of weakness before removing the lower hull parts. Worth a shot...

My intention is to modify a fairly large model, not the small versions often seen in dioramas. I am thinking to use a really old Euromodel Royal William in my stash.

Yes please start a log John.I am familiar with the Royal William kit,Wish I bought one when they were still in business,but I do have their plans.If you are determined to slice the bottom off,I would fully assemble the frame then cut the bottom off.This will be close to where the lower deck sits and these frames as you know are cut out inside.I would the bond the framework to a piece of quarter inch ply roughly cut to the profile.Use the waterline plan for the shape.Then fair this piece when you fair the frames before planking.In that way,your planking will overlap onto this piece creating a solid hull.The quarter inch will be lost in whatever medium you use for water.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thanks

Hallo
we wish you all the Best and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Thanks
Hallo @john269
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hi John, happy Birthday!
I just read your question today. My idea:
Cut the bulkheads of on the waterline width.
Fasten 2 little beams with the width of the waterline width for each of the bulkheads on a sturdy plank, in which the bulkheads will be clamped. With space in the middle for the longitudinal bulkhead.
Then they do not shift and you can install the hull planks along them. After that, you can pull the whole thing out again later. Then you have, and also build it like a waterline model.
Regards, Peter

Back