Copper tiles - CA glue alternative

I have developed a bad reaction to CA glue fumes, even with and extractor fan and a desk fan being used.

I have tried using a mask but I can't wear my glasses with a mask on, and I need to wear them for close up work.20240709_141057.jpg

Has anyone used an alternative to CA glue with good success? I have some PVA craft glue and Pritt clear PVA craft glue - would these be any good?

Any advice welcome.

I just used the adhesive backed copper. Give the hull a couple of coats of shellac first. But then my sheathing has only been on there for two years.

Bob Smith makes a CA glue that is supposed to be non-toxic. I’ve used it and have not noticed any fumes. It’s on Amazon.

I had the same problem and searched out a very thin double sided tape the same width as the copper. I then made a simple jig to line up the tape with the copper .
By stripping the cover of one side of the DS tape and laying it sticky side up in the jig I was able to then place the copper smooth side down onto the DS tape and run a smooth piece of wood over it it to ensure good contact.
With this method I ended up with a copper strip that was then cut into individual plates complete with adhesive attached.
Worked a treat.
I also found that it best to stay with doing around 12 plates at a time otherwise the tape tended to wrinkle.

IMG_4933.jpeg

IMG_4065.JPG

After looking closely at your copper tape it would appear to me to have some king of backing paper on it.
Is it possible that this backing would peel off to reveal an adhesive side?
Worth a look

After looking closely at your copper tape it would appear to me to have some king of backing paper on it.
Is it possible that this backing would peel off to reveal an adhesive side?
Worth a look
We're talking about two different things here, someone recommended the tape and I posted a photo to show I have some, but I want to use the actual tiles that came with the kit. I paid a lot of money for this kit and feel that using copper tape would not do it justice.

20240709_124250.jpg20240709_124259.jpg

Hello Jim,

I share your allergy to CA. I have found a low odor, low bloom version by Loctite that I do not react to at all (normal CA shuts me down for a full week). I found it on the US Amazon site but I'll warn you - it's rather pricey. But for me it's worth the cost as a small bottle lasts a long time (maybe not true putting on copper plates but...) and I find that CA does things only CA can do that I find helpful in building models.

Hope this helps a bit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0839N47TF

Hello Jim,

I share your allergy to CA. I have found a low odor, low bloom version by Loctite that I do not react to at all (normal CA shuts me down for a full week). I found it on the US Amazon site but I'll warn you - it's rather pricey. But for me it's worth the cost as a small bottle lasts a long time (maybe not true putting on copper plates but...) and I find that CA does things only CA can do that I find helpful in building models.

Hope this helps a bit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0839N47TF
Thanks for that Paul, very helpful. It appears Amazon UK do not stock the 403, but I have located some elsewhere - you weren't wrong about the price either. I will give this a go and see how I fare with it.

Thanks for that Paul, very helpful. It appears Amazon UK do not stock the 403, but I have located some elsewhere - you weren't wrong about the price either. I will give this a go and see how I fare with it.
I'd love to hear back how it went for you. I have recommended it to others as well, but the price is a deterrent. It comes in a medium body so it should be perfect for copper tiles. Mostly I'd like to learn how you reacted to it allergy wise. I'm crazy allergic to the regular stuff and can work with this open beside me for hours with very little suffering.

Whew! I'm happy this worked for you. Your cost was about double what I pay in the US so the stakes were high. But the sweet smell of success... And the joy of not wearing a respirator while working...priceless!

Farnells are selling this for an even more incredible price of £82.79 PLUS VAT!

I have the same problem, I have got around it by working next to an open window with a couple of fans blowing across the bench, can't work if there is a breeze though. Depite the lunatic price I will give this a go.

Back