Corel Vasa - bashed

I'm just glad you're here, Mike. Paul filled me in via PM on your two accounts, and the causes thereof. MSW rules are harshly enforced, so one has to watch one's step over there. I NEVER mention or post on ANY model builds originating from China in order to play by their rules while in their house. The management there are Crusaders, but then again events they have suffered under piracy have made them VERY angry, so their views are understandable knowing what they've been to, just extreme.
Re MSW something I noticed very early on while researching model ship building hence here I am at SoS which looked a friendlier house.

Re MSW something I noticed very early on while researching model ship building hence here I am at SoS which looked a friendlier house.
I was on both forums, and there are great users on both, but this forum is definitely friendlier. I spend more time here than there because there were more people working on 17th century ships here. MSW is doomed to die from lack of membership due to the heinous actions of their admins in attempts to censor THIS forum. What's important is we are free to share our hobby here without politics. I've been working on HMS Sovereign of the Seas, which will be my finest work. After that I'll be doing a few easier models like USS Rattlesnake by Mamoli (Dusek) and the Spanish galleon San Francisco II by Artesania Latina. It would be great if there were more older style galleons and men of war, but the selection of kits is rather few. Scratch building is the only option.

Daniel,
Thanks so much - I'm also humbled by Paul's comments about my build in his Vasa build log. So glad that you may also find some useful info when you get
to rigging. It was my first attempt - it did work out - but their were a few missteps that required cutting and re-installing some ropes. Yikes..A lot of details are in the log....The Corel example does not include sails or sail rigging sheets. I used (line by line) the rigging plans from the Billings Vasa kit (including some lines for standing rigging) . A kind member sent me jpg's of his sheets....And as you also know the VASA II book is many years behind it's intended publication date. That said even with the book standing and running rigging of Vasa - specifically - is a bet sketchy.... Your Billing's sheets will be perfect!!

PS: I Don't remember if you have already attached yards and sails to your Vasa - But I learned from another Vasa builder's log that if you also plan
on furling the bowsprit sail and lower foresail (as I did) that you don't cut them full size but remove about 30-40% of their length before furling because
when you furl them they will "appear" too thick and possibly out of scale. The lower mainsail, as you know, I partially raised in order to allow a better view of the deck. Just a few thoughts - lol

Cheers,

Bonjour
Voici quelques photos de mon Corel Vasa terminé. Veuillez noter que toutes les cordes, blocs, yeux morts et canons sont après-vente. Une grande partie du bois est également fournie par le marché secondaire. Pour le gréement, à la fois debout et en cours d’exécution, utilisez les feuilles de Billings, de Mantoue et du musée ainsi que des photos du 1/10e comme guides, et non les instructions du Corel. Bien que le gréement de ce navire soit encore indéterminé... Plus important encore, j’ai étudié les 1000 photos disponibles du 1/1 et du 1/10ème au musée. En ce qui concerne le boîtier – je voulais lui donner un look minimaliste, ainsi que reproduire un look de pont avec des clous d’arbre.

Merci d’avoir regardé, très apprécié
View attachment 58046View attachment 58047View attachment 58048View attachment 58049View attachment 58050View attachment 58051View attachment 58052View attachment 58053View attachment 58054View attachment 58055View attachment 58056View attachment 58057View attachment 58058View attachment 58059View attachment 58060View attachment 58061View attachment 58062View attachment 58063View attachment 58064View attachment 58065View attachment 58066View attachment 58067View attachment 58068View attachment 58069View attachment 58070

Super belle maquette. De quelle version de « Corel » s’agît il et quelle échelle de construction.

Je suis aussi retourné à la construction de ma Vasa de Corel à l’échelle 1/75, mais mon modèle a déjà presque 50 ans. A voir votre maquette, c’est à devenir jaloux:)

20230116_192341731_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
Hello,
Here are some shots of my completed Corel Vasa. Please note that all ropes, blocks, deadeyes, and cannons are after-market. Much of the wood is also aftermarket supplied. For the rigging both standing and running used the Billings, Mantua, and the museum’s sheets along with photos of the 1/10th as guides, not the Corel’s instructions. Though rigging for this ship is still undetermined...Most importantly I studied the 1000s of available photos of the 1/1 and the 1/10th at the museum. Regarding the case – wanted to do a minimalist look to it, as well as replicating a deck look along with treenails.

Thanks for looking, much appreciated
View attachment 58046View attachment 58047View attachment 58048View attachment 58049View attachment 58050View attachment 58051View attachment 58052View attachment 58053View attachment 58054View attachment 58055View attachment 58056View attachment 58057View attachment 58058View attachment 58059View attachment 58060View attachment 58061View attachment 58062View attachment 58063View attachment 58064View attachment 58065View attachment 58066View attachment 58067View attachment 58068View attachment 58069View attachment 58070
Super belle maquette. De quelle version de « Corel » s’agît il et quelle échelle de construction.

Je suis aussi retourné à la construction de ma Vasa de Corel à l’échelle 1/75, mais mon modèle a déjà presque 50 ans. A voir votre maquette, c’est à devenir jaloux

Gibbes,
De quelle version de « Corel » s’agît il et quelle échelle de construction.

What version of "Corel" is it and what build scale?

Corel n'a sorti qu'un seul kit Wasa au 1/75. Le vôtre et le mien sont le même kit. J'ai juste décidé de "réparer" avec un travail personnalisé les
erreurs qui étaient et sont toujours dans le Corel Vasa encore vendu aujourd'hui en 2023. Merci pour vos gentils commentaires sur mon exemple fini.
=============

Corel has released only one 1/75 Wasa kit. Your's and mine are the same kit. I just decided to "fix" with custom work the
errors that were and still are in the Corel Vasa still sold today in 2023. Thanks for you nice comments about my finished example.

Magic Mike; double thanks for you comments -- cheers

Je suis aussi retourné à la construction de ma Vasa de Corel à l’échelle 1/75, mais mon modèle a déjà presque 50 ans. A voir votre maquette, c’est à devenir jaloux:)
Hallo @Gibbes
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back