Corel

Wondering if I could get your guys opinions on Corel kits, particularly the 1/75 scale Wasa.
Thanks

Hey, Capt mike @Capt mike checks this out...

To date, I have yet to build a Corel model. That just means that (so far) , I have not purchased from them. The ships from Corel look good. I am sure there will be a little extra work and things you will need to do to make it a stand out model (as most other kits from Corel) and not saying that Corel is bad. I have seen several built from Corel.
However, I will say that I recently finished a Mantua/Panart San Felipe and it took A LOT of work to turn it into a good looking ship. The Mantua/Panart San Felipe was seriously lacking in supplying the right amount of rigging line as I had to order twice the amount to get it done. Now, what do I mean by this? What is going on is that Mantua only sent enough rigging line (like for the Shrouds) to loop the line around the Mast Top WITHOUT any seizing at all. Then after the Shrouds loop around the Mat Top, then they wanted per instructions to just tie one simple KNOT and that might be ok for someone that is not pursuing a real to life scale appearance. But for most nearly 99% of the builders here, we know that is not sufficient nor is the right way to do things.

Back to Corel. I don't think you will have a problem with it.

I see that Billings Boat also makes the Wasa at the same scale. I don't think I would do this one.

Mantua. I think is so-so. I am not sure this will supply all the rigging line and it might have too much lazer cut that do not fit right.

DeAgonstini. Now this is a good choice as well and some love the part build sequence.
The link can be found here:

Last edited:
I built the Flying Fish (schooner) years ago and was very happy with it. Only difficulty was the plans for transom/ stern where I had poor information on the plan.

i agree with donnie on the subject of mantua. i am currently building the hms shine . except for the rigging line, ( only tan supplied ) the other parts were adequate, but, the laser cutting was poor, and all deck furniture had to be built from scratch as the plywood laser cuts were unusable. biggest beef was an absence of scale consistency . i would stick with the corel

Try googling pictures / video of completed models - many you'll find will be completed in a basic, as per instructions using kit contents alone and can give you an idea of what the kit makes possible. Models illustrated on this forum will most likely have been considerably improved, added to and generally not be as per what came out of the box. Such is the quality of builders on here forum (me excepted!)

Hello,
I made Corel Vasario 1:75. I made this ship because in Lithuania is not many kits. Corel kit pats is cutted by hand, not laser cut. Ship body pats is not real shape. Now i make Corel wappen von hamburg. It will be rarely better ship. A lot of nice sculptures. I think that Corel vasa is wery difficult to make.

Please read warshipvasa forumas https://warshipvasa.freeforums.net/thread/73/vasa-kits-wood
I can say, that Corel Vasa isn't real shape. Better ship shape is in Billing Vasa. Corel is wery old kit. If in billing vasa was bad rigging plans, you can send deagostini rigging plans for Free from deagostini Internet page.
Thank you for posting your beautiful ship. I just purchased the Wasa by Corel and your build has given me great inspiration.

Back