Cottage Industry Models US Revenue Cutter Alexander Hamilton 1/96 scale

This model consists of resin, white metal and wood parts. It builds like a wood kit so I figured this was the best place to start my build log.

I posted a quick first look review in another section so I will skip that part of the introduction. Most of this kit is molded in a light yellowish tan resin and all resin parts were still attached to the sprues. The keel of the hull was still attached to it's sprue also. The gun ports needed to be opened up and if desired gun port doors are included. Other openings in the hull need to be opened as well. The hole for the foremast is there but the hole for the mainmast isn't. Getting the rake angle for the mast might prove difficult. Separating the keel from the sprue was fairly easy using a dremel tool with a cut-off disk. Sanding the bottom of the keel on a flat surface with 320 grit sandpaper results in a nice straight keel. Shaping of bow portion of the keel is necessary but a pleasing shape was easy to achieve. The instructions state that if a portion of the keel breaks loose to just glue it back and sand away any excess. I think that if that had happened to me I would have used an appropriate piece of wood I have in stock. So far I have removed resin where called for on the hull and started cutting loose all the various components attached to the resin sprues. This may take weeks since I am trying to be very careful as to not break anything. Some of the parts are provided both as resin castings and as white metal castings. The deck furniture is all resin as well as the pin rails. The ship's wheel is white metal and needs cleaning up. I am also the proud owner of a brand new 3D printer and am teaching myself how to use the 3D cad software I need to create objects. There are a lot of objects on the internet that can be downloaded and printed. I may try my hand at creating a new wheel and other accessories,deck view 001.jpgHamilton resin parts 001.jpgHamilton resin parts 002.jpghull left side view 001.jpgstern view 001.jpgtools used so far 001.jpg

Well, after four days of cutting and sanding and punching holes the model is almost ready to begin construction. By my count all the parts are there, but the very smallest blocks, in my opinion, are virtually useless. Most are basically tiny white metal blobs which would require more talent than I have to turn into something I could use. Fortunately for me I have some tiny 3D printed blocks that I purchased from Shapeways a while back for another project and I think they will do as a replacement. Generally I think the poor appearance of the blocks and deadeyes are something the kit manufacturer should look into replacing considering the price of the kit. At $250 I expected better. Since I am having to substitute blocks and deadeyes from my parts bin I think the manufacturer's claim that the complete model can be built using only the parts supplied is stretching things, but on the other hand everything else in the kit is very nice. The resin hull exterior and the decking required very little cleanup. Oh, and by the way I am adding an image of the Lindberg Revenue cutter that is about 80% complete. Now that I have a good set of rigging plans in hand I'll probably complete it alongside the Hamilton. BTW it is a little bigger scale.cast resin parts 001.jpghull right side view 001.jpgresin deadeyes.jpgcast resin parts 001.jpghull right side view 001.jpgresin deadeyes.jpgrevenue cutter Independence 001.jpg

I contacted the owner of Cottage Industries Models regarding the absence of a flag sheet and the poor quality of the smallest size blocks. I got a fast reply and apology and one week later a package arrived with the missing flag sheet and what should be enough of the small blocks to complete the model without using outside sources. Been doing a lot of cleaning, drilling and sanding but nothing that warrants taking any photos.

This model has moved to the front of the line of projects I have under way. I have painted the hull and the main deck and will be adding all the deck furniture over the next few sessions. I have now assembled one of the two ship's boats and have it ready for painting. I used an inexpensive laser level to aid in striking the waterline along the hull. I have painted the hull above the waterline black while painting below the waterline an off white cream color, I used Tamiya deck tan for the deck with a dark grey wash to bring out the planking detail.Hamilton on 3D printed stand 001.jpgassembled ships boat001.jpg1-96 ship's captain,001.jpg
I happened to have on hand the crew members from the Revell USS Constitution which is also 1/96th scale and plan to include several of them on this model.

Great job! You are very talented! This industry allows individuals and families a lower-cost business structure and helps many homemakers work in self-employment. People who want to produce and distribute food items from home are restricted in many cases by local, state, and national food laws requiring certain health and safety standards. Some states have passed laws to allow greater flexibility and to support home-based cottage food businesses. However, state laws impose varying conditions on home-based food businesses and there are no national standards on which consumers can rely. There is a different situation with the factoring companies in New York. Businesses in New York grow at a rapid pace and in order to meet that growth they turn to factoring, and it really works.

Last edited:
Back