Cromartyshire - 1879 -

I love putting ships like this in bottles. The fit through the neck a lot easier due to the slender design, Shipbuilder do you mind if I grab this one and the Miss Morris. I use the Pictures to scale down and carve a hull out make sails and Masts from the pictures. I wont get to fitting one in a bottle for at least a couple months, but I always like to have the pictures on hand for when I do. I have done a full construction through the bottle neck installed masts sails rigging all through the neck it was extremely difficult, but extremely more rewarding then building it all outside the bottle and laying the masts down to install it. I had to make specialized gripping devices on long hollow tubes to get that job done making the tools and seeing them work as intended was nearly as rewarding as putting that ship in the bottle. I'll dig those tools out and post them in a couple days

Go ahead! Cromartyshire was 248.8 feet long and 38.1 feet wide, so it wasn't all that slender - 6 1/2 times longer than the width! Difficult job to build one in a bottle! Here is a picture of my model at 32 feet to 1 inch (1:384).
Bob
Cromartyshire.jpg

Awesome TY, That's Beautiful right there looks awesome. yeah by slender I mean the beam is fairly narrow and I can carve to just below the water line and set it in clay that I shape and paint to resemble the ocean that makes everything very slender unlike trying to fit say the Mayflower in a bottle lol Still cant wrap my head around that one, it would have to very tiny hehe I think this one and the Miss Morris will work in some of the old wine Bottles I have collected.

Here is a rough, but accurate deck plan that I drew up some years ago. Should be OK for ship in bottle, but as you can see, it is quite wide when compared to the length! Hull plan copy (Large).jpg

Nice this helps a lot as I like to accurately place things on the decks when I do these builds. this also helps me with ships deck locations and its shape from above. Thank you for this Information.

Back