Cup vs intermediate shrouds

What is the difference between cup shrougds and intermediate shrouds.

It seems that on a ship, of the age of sail, there were no cup shrouds, that is shrouds coming from the chain plates and ending at the cup of the upper mast.On the contrary the intermediate shrouds did exist, as the only shrouds, which were categorised as the lower and the upper shrouds, according to their place on.the masts (lower or upper mast shrouds).

Is that correct?

What is the difference between cup shrougds and intermediate shrouds.
here is what I have found, it may help.

Cap shrouds: Stay the mast against lateral (athwartship) loads. Attached near the masthead on a masthead rig, and at forestay level on a fractional rig. The cap shrouds are led via spreaders to the boat’s chain plates.

Intermediate shrouds: Fitted on multiple-spreader rigs, and attached in the area of the upper spreaders. Fitted
with links in the lower spreader tips (linked rig) or pass over the spreader tips and continue down to the deck (continuous
rig). The intermediate shrouds stay the upper spreader area against movement athwartships.

Thank you very much Jimsky. Still... the problem is my english. I could not comprehend the text you posted me. I wonder if there was any picture or diagram there where you found the text.
Christos

Thank you again Jimsky. It seems now is clear. It seems like that was not wrong my original impression.... in the age of sail on war ship we had intermediate and lower shrouds but not any cup shrouds.

Back