Curly, antique galleon, sails problem.

As you can see from my photo of the 17th century 'Derfflinger Fluyt' the sails are an embarassment

They aren't realistic - all 'bent' " so as to speak"

I can't disassemble them them it would involbve a re-rigging nightmare.

The original sailcloth is quite stiff

Anyone know how I can 'convert' them to appear as having _gentle, downwind billowing

D sails nightmare IMG_1972.jpg

Можно попробовать смочить паруса клеем пва "дисперсия поливинилацетата в воде с пластификатором и специальными добавками" разбавленным водой, и высушить феном. Сам я такое не делал, что получиться понятия не имею.

You can try moistening the sails with PVA glue “a dispersion of polyvinyl acetate in water with a plasticizer and special additives” diluted with water, and dry it with a hairdryer. I haven’t done this myself, so I have no idea how it will turn out.

Maybe you can remove the sails together with the yardarms - this would be much easier for adjusting the sails raised

I would pick the smallest sail for a trial and dust it off well. Lightly spray with water in my airbrush whilst gently trying to shape it from the back side.

Last edited:
Maybe a steamer used for clothing to soften whatever was used to stiffen them up in the first place. Some clothes irons have a steam feature, but it gives just a puff or two of steam The steamers are pretty common in thrift stores/charity shops in the US.

Maybe a steamer used for clothing to soften whatever was used to stiffen them up in the first place. Some clothes irons have a steam feature, but it gives just a puff or two of steam The steamers are pretty common in thrift stores/charity shops in the US.
That might work. Also, I wonder if anyone uses one for planking?

Hhmm. I would first take a deep breathe and consider your goals. That model looks pretty old (and lovely), so, depending on its provenance, attempting to correct the sails could result in decreases in its historical and/or financial value. Advance with caution and have fun!

Back