Cutting Bulkheads

I believe you forgot to break off middle part of every bulkhead. When you do so small file will be the way to remove what is left.

I believe you forgot to break off middle part of every bulkhead. When you do so small file will be the way to remove what is left.
Thank you, I've been following the plans step by step. After the planking it says to use a small file. Was hoping for a more effective way to remove the bulkheads.

Hello David. I hope you don't mind, but I wouldn't recommend removing the middle of the bulkheads now. Plank the entire boat to make a strong shell. Once it is completely dried, you can use a sharp # 11 knife to cut out the bulkheads holders. They already cut by laser and should have only a few spots to hold it. You will cut those spots to release the middle part leaving just so-called a frame.!!

Hello David. I hope you don't mind, but I wouldn't recommend removing the middle of the bulkheads now. Plank the entire boat to make a strong shell. Once it is completely dried, you can use a sharp # 11 knife to cut out the bulkheads holders. They already cut by laser and should have only a few spots to hold it. You will cut those spots to release the middle part leaving just so-called a frame.!!
Hi David,

I agree with Jim. Boat has to be fully planked first, but you might have used an earlier image to show the bulkheads. I think you would have the planking all done by now.

I am only a few days behind and I'm going to try my smallest file to cut down to the start of the laser cut. It's only about 1/8" I tried my razor saw on a scrap piece but it applies too much pressure. You just have to be careful to angle the file so that the part which becomes the inner edge of the frame is retained and square. The edge of the cut towards the centre of the bulkhead is going into waste so doesn't matter. Once the top tag is cut the bulkhead can be snapped off at the bottom - there is only one more tag and that's across the keel which is already glued firm.

The plans we are using leave a bit to be desired but it is a good exercise. I don't have any written plans for my scratch Medea build so the longboat plans are better than that.

If you have a good quality pair of flush cutting pliers, you may be able to cut to inside leaving short connector to file off when done. I suggest testing on scrap of same lumber to see if it works without to much crushing.

Kurt.

JIMS SUGGESTION IS RIGHT, I AM GOING TO DO THAT WITH MY ARMED LONGBOAT THE GOOD ONE, I HAVE SMALL RAZOR SAW THAT JIM GAVE ME A LINK TO USED IT ON MY , WILL SHOW YOU THE SAW THAT I USED TOMORROW, AS MY WHOLE APARTMENT WAS RE-DONE TODAY BY MY DAUGHTER AND SON-IN-LAW, now have a real work shop, also show pictures tomorrow. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE Don

I am interested in this as I have just cut some new Plywood formers for a Couta Boat that I am attempting to build and left a small uncut tabs on the former F4FCBF73-3C85-4DFB-B680-2174D7ED299A.jpegat the bottom of the hull and am wondering how to remove the unwanted part of the former when I have finished the planking, just trying to think ahead, not always my strong point!

Micro Mark sells a small very thin saw blade, double sided about an inch long, that could be slipped in laser slot and used to cut the tab thru.

Back