Cutting gun ports in solid hull

If you know where they belong before you start the planking, there are two option I have seen used.

1. Plank over the location and drill out with bit smaller than hole so you can carve or file to final shape and location.

2. If you have wood template with openings as you plank over them, as plank reaches a port hole, cut out half of the hole in first plank, and then when you add the next row you can then cut out the other part of the opening with exacto blade.

If you know where they belong before you start the planking, there are two option I have seen used.

1. Plank over the location and drill out with bit smaller than hole so you can carve or file to final shape and location.

2. If you have wood template with openings as you plank over them, as plank reaches a port hole, cut out half of the hole in first plank, and then when you add the next row you can then cut out the other part of the opening with exacto blade.
You missed the bit where it says solid hull.

First drilling with a small drill some holes and clean and finalize with a sharp chisel
Take a look also at Olhas actual posts - sweep port or gun ports are the same (in principle)

You can put a collar or a piece of tape on the drill bit to give you an indicator of when to stop drilling so you can make them a uniform depth. :)
I got "wheel collars" from an RC plane store. They are made in several sized by Du-Bro.

Back