Cutting Rabbet on 2 plank hull

I've been reading about cutting the rabbet. I haven't cut one yet, but have a pretty good understanding how it's done on a single planked hull.

My question is: On a 2 planked hull are the bearding and rabbet lines moved down the distance of the 1st plank? Or are the cuts made after the 1st plank is on the hull? Thank you.

if you cut the rabbet wide enough for both layers of planking you might need a scrap wedge to hold the first planking down against the hull framing. If you plank the hull first, sand it then cut the rabbet you will get a tight fit between the first planking and the keel.

Dave. You are saying it would be better (but maybe a little more difficult in my mind) to plank the hull. Shape it. Then cut the rabbet? Thank you.

Dave. You are saying it would be better (but maybe a little more difficult in my mind) to plank the hull. Shape it. Then cut the rabbet? Thank you.

i was thinking if you cut the rabbit wide enough for 2 layers of planking you will have a gap between the first layer and the edge of the rabbit so you will need to wedge the end of the plank against the edge of the rabbet like the top drawing to keep that area open for the second plank

if you planked the hull and butt the first layer to the side of the keel then cut a rabbit it creates a tongue and grove thing.

Untitled-1.jpg

Isn't the 2nd planking, most of the time a ~0.6 mm wood strip ?
That was my experience with the kits I have assemble so far.

Yes Dematosdg they are usually pretty thin. Does that matter?

Well, I was "just thinking" that adding a 0.5-0.6 mm to your first plank thickness will not affect your rabbet line. I don't see myself being so precise on the cut. But that is me !!!!

Screenshot_20220624-135253_Chrome.jpg

Drawing extracted from this online article.

"Moderators" if I can't post that link/drawing, please delete it.

Daniel

Cutting the rabbet always confused me especially at the stern. This cleared it all up.

Back