Cutty Sark Mantua 1:78 Build Log

Joined
Jun 23, 2019
Messages
79
Points
78

Hi shipwrights,
I’ve just installed the parapet supports, a brass part included with the kit. And i’m so doing, immediately ran into two huge snafus: the supports did not fit, either vertically or horizontally according to the positioning shown on the plans. I backtracked to find out what I’d done wrong and found I’d followed the plans exactly as shown (and written, in the case of their “horizontal’ fit).
I won’t dwell on this, since this is an early 90s kit and I presume they (Mantua) have corrected these ridiculous, egregious misleads in later updates of the Mantua Cutty Sark. I wound up cutting the supports to fit under the parapet ledge, knowing they’d be fairly well hidden behind other components and superstructure...
But yikes, y’all! This Mantua kit has been a lesson in how to deal with inadequate attention to competent plans and instructions, especially compared to the superb experience I had with my first build, done by Atesania Latina.
pictures to follow.
 
Joined
Jun 23, 2019
Messages
79
Points
78

Hi All,
I've been spending less time on the Cutty Sark build lately, due to life, family and holidays. But I've made some progress.
I've constructed and installed the deadeye {chain-wale?} brackets that are located inside the hull on the Cutty Sark.
The Fancy Cutty Sark stern emblem did not fit the contour of the boat as I finished it. But I was somewhat able to make it fit by heating it to cherry red with a propane torch and bending it slightly, in a trial and error process. Mostly error. Plus the tips broke off; the "brass" parts were mostly pot metal and didn't like bending. I just glued them back together.

As I've stated before, this kit was probably assembled in the mid-90s, and I've found a couple of other Cutty Sark /Mantua 1:78 kit builds on the net, and many of the parts on these (I assume) later-built kits had different, probably improved parts. And instructions. I'm still bummed that the "gunport" openings, the parapet supports, plus even the overall main deck layout had skimpy instructions, that, even followed carefully, do not result in proper placement of later parts: the "gunport" did not follow the deck properly (the should have all been flush with the deck at their bottom), the brass pre-made parapet supports were not made to follow the level of the rails--they were too tall in the mid-deck area and too short at the bow and stern ends. I was able to modify them enough that they shouldn't be noticeable in the final analysis of the finished model.
Perhaps I've spent too much time complaining about the kit. I haven't found anything I couldn't overcome. But I think these blatant issues should never have made it to a commercially available product, at it's original price point.
Anyways, here are some pictures of the current state of Sid's Cutty Sark. Hundreds of hours in, many many more to go.IMG_0691.jpgIMG_0713.jpgIMG_0714.jpgIMG_0715.jpgIMG_0681.jpgIMG_0682.jpgIMG_0684.jpgIMG_0686.jpgIMG_0690.jpgIMG_0710.jpgIMG_0717.jpgIMG_0718.jpgIMG_0719.jpgIMG_0691 (1).jpg
 
Top