Danmark - Billings - bash

Here is a photo log of Danmark.
It was given to me as a project started by a gentleman who passed away.
I decided to complete it as there are too many unfinished projects left this way.
It was basically roughly planked hull and a box of bits.
The first pic is well into my attempt of bashing it into shape.
I was up to the point of starting the rigging when I fell of the roof of my house, breaking my arm and fracturing my back.
So back to the computer for a while producing rigging plans.
I will be back into it shortly.

danmark001.JPGdanmark002.JPGdanmark003.JPGdanmark004.JPGdanmark006.JPGdanmark010.JPGdanmark011.JPGdanmark012.JPGdanmark020.JPGdanmark030.JPGdanmark040.JPGdanmark050.JPGdanmark060.JPGdanmark070.JPGdanmark075.JPGdanmark077.JPGdanmark105.JPGdanmark108.JPGdanmark111.JPGdanmark115.JPGdanmark125.JPGdanmark130.JPGdanmark140.JPGdanmark180.JPG

Hello Allan
Very nice indeed
I did build the Danmark when I was a kid (quite a while ago ;))
She was in a pretty bad shape after several moves and I tried to save her.
Definitely not as nice as yours
I'd be interested in following your log

Great looking model - I am very happy, that you show us your model in a building log :cool:

I have been making grating. This is a fine as I can get.
60mm dia x 0.6mm thick milling cutter
Starting with a piece of stock 40x40x4 cut shallow grooves cross grain .6mm deep across the entire piece.
Adjust the depth to 2mm and repeat with grain.
You then have a block with a lot of square bits sticking up.
Then cut strips .6x.6 and fill in the shallow grooves.
Run super glue over it.
When dry run it over the saw blade multiple times(2mm depth) and cut the back off it.20201207_171403-2aa.jpg

Hallo @alpayed
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Hope you are better after the accident you mentioned.... are you still working on the Denmark?
Thanks Uwek. Yes I recovered from the accident well and then luck decided to deal me some prostate cancer. I have now survived that so Danmark will be back in my sights. In the meantime I have been drawing plans of HMS Investigator. I will post some of that soon.
regards
Allan

Last edited:
Hi Ben
You have the earlier kit with the double ended life boats which is correct for your build of the ship back then.
I chose to build as she is now. The life boats in the later kit that I have are slightly different but I still needed to modify the to suit a "as now" build.
I cut the hulls in half down the keel. I made a new keel with stem and stern post in 1 piece so the shells mated to it on either side. (not glued at this stage)
Then using heavy card cut into thin strips I simulated clinker adhered to the plastic "half hulls".
Here is the secret: I used a double sided adhesive (3M brand) tape uhich is ultra thin and incredibly adhesive.
Apply it to the back of the card and then cut it into strips. Overlap the strakes and let them protrude over the ends.
Cut the ends off to suit and then glue them onto the keel. I used the seat insert but cut out the seats and replaced them with wood.

Hope this helps Allan

aa.jpgab.jpgac.jpg

Hi Allan,
This sure helps. I only have to decide on the bigger boat on my picture. That doesn’t looks like a rowing boat, but it is hard to find old pictures of the Danmark with these boats on them. Maybe someone on the Forum found pictures. I will at least try your method with the smalle boats. Keep you updated .
Best regards,

Ben

Here is a photo log of Danmark.
It was given to me as a project started by a gentleman who passed away.
I decided to complete it as there are too many unfinished projects left this way.
It was basically roughly planked hull and a box of bits.
The first pic is well into my attempt of bashing it into shape.
I was up to the point of starting the rigging when I fell of the roof of my house, breaking my arm and fracturing my back.
So back to the computer for a while producing rigging plans.
I will be back into it shortly.

Hallo @alpayed
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back