Danmark

Ken

Hi, These are some pictures of my recently completed build. It is Billings Danmark 1:72. that I bought from EBay. It is a kit from the early 70's so nearly 50 years old. The wood strip was so warped I threw it away, the printed deck was very brittle and needed a backing sheet to stop it breaking up, the plans were very poor, the brass fittings were very good but nothing else. I used the warped keel and bulkheads as templates for a semi scratch build, I changed from single to double planking which worked out well. I really liked the ship so it was worth the effort, something different.

Ken

001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg008.jpg0900.jpg

Amazing work - the Danmark was the first kit I ever bought - about 40 years ago - I did complete it though it almost put me off model ship building for life and it looked NOTHING like yours when I was done. Hats off to you - she looks great.

ps - It didn't put me off building model kits but I've never done another Billings!!

Ken

Amazing work - the Danmark was the first kit I ever bought - about 40 years ago - I did complete it though it almost put me off model ship building for life and it looked NOTHING like yours when I was done. Hats off to you - she looks great.

ps - It didn't put me off building model kits but I've never done another Billings!!

Hi Pat, Thanks for your comments. I agree, I accept that this was an old kit but from what I see Billings hasn’t changed a great deal, the whole design was very poor, terrible plans and I too would not get another Billings, even cheap off eBay.

ken

NMBROOK

Staff member

Excellent work Ken.That is a stunning model of a beautiful and graceful vessel.

Kind Regards

Nigel