darkening agent for metal parts

hello there
would anyone know where I can find darkening agents to use for metal parts like cannon barrels or anchors instead of
painting them I heard they look much better when darken thank you
Ronald

hello there
would anyone know where I can find darkening agents to use for metal parts like cannon barrels or anchors instead of
painting them I heard they look much better when darken thank you
Ronald
These are very good

ok thanks
since there are so many to chose from would you know which solutions is right for the cannons & anchors thank you

ok thanks
since there are so many to chose from would you know which solutions is right for the cannons & anchors thank you
That is depend on what the parts are made of,on each Jax products written for what metal they are good for

I've just tried blackening my chainplates in a antique / blackening solution and a number of the soldered joints in the chains have fallen apart - is this a common thing or is my soldering just that bad?

Hello Jim, it could be a combination of both. Blackening solutions designed for specific materials. Look for the Beechwood Casey product line, they have a blackening solution designated for steel (blue steel), for brass (Brass Black), etc. What solution did you use? What material your chainplates? Can your antique blackening solution be used with your chainplate material? Lastly, you may just didn't solder it right...

This is what I used - looks like it should be OK for brass.. Lumps of what looked like fat appeared around the solder when it had been sitting in the solution for a few minutes - possibly bubbles of something, but some sort of chemical reaction I think.

IMG_8565[1].jpeg

Has anyone tried chemically blackening small stainless steel bearings for cannonballs? If it works, that would seem a much better approach than painting them. I'm considering the JAX SS Activator & Blackener products. Anyone have experience with them?

The Birchwood Casey stuff is filled in smaller bottles and the results are also very good.
In Europe we have also Ballistol, but as I know they are not exporting to the US market

The Birchwood Casey stuff is filled in smaller bottles and the results are also very good.
Unfortunately, Birchwood Casey doesn't have a product to blacken the stainless steel, only for regular steel. But they have a variety of products to blacken brass, aluminum, and pewter

In Europe we have also Ballistol, but as I know they are not exporting to the US market
Hmmm, the smallest size of their Black Oxide SS that Birchwood sells seems to be a quart, and that's "on sale" for $38.72. Too bad they don't offer a sample bottle. I could probably do the 800 bearings I have with that.

Birchwood Casey also makes a metal finish called "Brass Black" in 3 fl oz bottles that works well on brass connons.
You can control the darkness by applying multiple coats and wiping for the finish you desire.

Back