Darkening wood

Hello everybody, I have problems finding darker wood for making whales strips. Does anybody use fuming amonia method for pear wood? Are there any better methods?

Hello everybody, I have problems finding darker wood for making whales strips. Does anybody use fuming amonia method for pear wood? Are there any better methods?
You can buy black hornbeam from Bibigon,check this topic or you use black stain on pear wood.

If you can find "Speedball Super Black India Ink" it will soak in and be like Ebony. The Steel Wool and vinegar is ok, nothing wrong with that, but it is going to respond to different types of wood in a different way. The Speedball India ink is instant and just let it dry.

1583558135754.png

Hello Donnie, do you know if wood (after blackening with this ink) can be treated with oils?

Jim,
I saw a video on how the ink was applied. After drying, it would seem that the wood should still be able to be treated w oil. I have not tried this, but plan to on my Blandford wales. I am not sure about adding the oil. What type of oil do u plan to use?

Thanks for the prompt answer, Donnie. My favorite and most used is Linseed oil. It is natural and doesn't change the color of the timber even after multiple coats. Also if you have the video handy to share with us, that would be great. Many Thanks!

Hi Jim,
This is the video - I can't take credit for posting it. This is something that Dave Stevens posted and I watched it. It is at the end of the video that the guy talks about Speedball India Ink.

Back