Deagostini's HMS Victory

Would appreciate anyone's thoughts about Deagostini's HMS Victory. I have been thinking about this kit. Thanks

Would appreciate anyone's thoughts about Deagostini's HMS Victory. I have been thinking about this kit. Thanks
Are you interested in the complete ship or the section model?

We have some building logs in SOS:

I was thinking of the complete ship. Interested in quality of the parts, type of wood (their site does not say), how true to the real ship.
Thanks

The kit is the Late "Artesania Latina" Victory kit. The Santa Ana Kit is the same kit, at the Hull level. They just diverge in finishing.
The big difference is that its chopped up to make it a "partwork " kit. There are lots of builds here and on the net. You tube has a large step by step for it.
Its an $800 kit so you get what you pay for.
Deagostini produced some excellent docs & build info, and added some addtional features and some more accuracy. The AL doco is a disgrace and not for the faint hearted.

All the Victory kits have their issues.

The CC kit is a present the most accurate & detailed. But its is huge ( 1/72) and a sizeable investment in time, effort & outlay. ( My next Build on the site in 6 or so months)

Is the DE kit a bad Kit ( No), is it a Great Kit ( No) but that's my personal opinion. I did a lot of research and for my 'pan ultimate build' decided to go with the CC kit.
I'm sure you will enjoy what ever kit you go with. Its a 1st rate and as such a complex, long, laborious, repetitive, tedious, patience testing and massively rewarding experience!

All the best no matter which way you go.

I think it depends what exactly you are after.Whilst the Deagostini Victory has a plausible likeness to the prototype,the boxy stern and some of the hull form are a little off from where it should be.
If you buy the Deagostini version (not Artesania) you do get a plethora of documentation so that a complete beginner can build the model successfully.That was the whole ethos behind these partworks.I have seen some very nice models built from it.
Now the big BUT.If you buy this model and want to start bashing it to a more accurate version,you really will be throwing money and time away.In this instance,I would buy the Caldercraft kit without a second thought.Provided of course you have the space as it is a little larger.The Caldercraft kit,to my knowledge,only suffers from the lack of split,scarphed skid beams to support the boats,everything else is more or less on the money.
From a cost point of view,both are expensive,however neither is going to take you a few weekends to build.The Caldercraft kit works out 3-4000 hours to do properly.I have seen one built in a lot less than this but quality of finish did suffer drastically.
Also take into account,because you won't find the need to change anything on the Caldercraft,the only added expense if you already have a basic toolkit,is paint,glue and brass blackener.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Back