Deck caulking

decking and caulking is a matter of personal taste. for me i do not like the look of stark white decks with black stripes. like this

View attachment 198532

decks in reality are not snow white they are gray or shades of tan and grayish browns and the caulking is not clean sharp black lines.

View attachment 198533

after trying every idea from black paper to paint i came up with this idea.
i brought simple crayons to the job.

View attachment 198534

i take my deck planks which in this case is natural pearwood clamp them together and color the edges. At this stage it looks as ugly as sin with crayon all over the planks. i have warmed up the crayon just a little before i coated the edges of the planks.

View attachment 198535

then i go ahead and lay the deck, really ugly isn't it! you would never think this would look nice

View attachment 198536

i made a scraper from a broken razor blade and scrape the deck

View attachment 198537

and here is the deck after i scraped off the excess crayon. What happens is the wax has a slight stickiness to it and because it is soft it works down between the planks, filling in any tiny gaps.

View attachment 198538

getting down really close

View attachment 198539

this is as realistic as i got to caulking a deck like the image below caulking is not even sharp black lines they fade in and out and in some cases the caulk lines almost blend into the planked deck.

like i said there are different strokes for different folks, some like stark white decks with sharp black lines, some like it more realistic, others just don't care one way or another.

View attachment 198540

I was hoping for a source of 1:48 scale Lego Jack Tars who could Pummice stone the decks.......

I was hoping for a source of 1:48 scale Lego Jack Tars who could Pummice stone the decks.......
You just need to order out your Impress Gang to find them on a dark warf staggering home from the local pub. They tend to stay in the shadows though and are hard to catch. :cool: RIch (PT-2)

When planking the deck I run a brown or black Sharpie marker along the edges rather than painting.
I find it much quicker and have never had a problem with staining or adding poly to seal.
Hallo @PatrickS
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back