deck planking Cutty Sark A.L.

Hi all, I bought the Cutty last week. Fantastic details and perfect materials. I´m intending to start a build log, but want to get started first. And yes, I´ll take pictures of every step.
I´ve got a question about the deck. At the bow the basswood planks meet the walnut waterways in a stepped way. Do you have to cut the steps into the walnut? I presume you don´t glue
the basswood on top of the walnut because of the thickness of the walnut. Has anyone a tip? Thanks in advance, John.

Not sure about your kit, but in general, the deck planking would terminate as a “step” in a plank that ran around the perimeter of the decking. It was called the “margin plank”, and the process of creating the ”step” in the margin plank was called ”nibbing”, so the plank was also called the “nibbing strake”. Nibbing was done when a plank met the nibbing strake at an acute angle. The “squaring off” of the pointed end prevented rot, which was likely with pointed plank ends. The waterway butts up against the outside margin of the nibbing strake.

Hello joport. Take a look at this post from my old Bluenose build log as to how I dealt with the nibbing strake.

Hi john,
I’m currently building the Cutty Sark (1:78, Mantua/Sergal version) and just recently semi-completed the main deck planking. And being a new builder, not sure about terminology, but indeed I had to leave a 5mm gap between longitudinal planking and edge of bulwarks, which was then filled in with tiny .5mm x 3mm x 5mm planks oriented toward bulwarks. Pictures can be seen on my “Mantua Cutty Sark” build log. I assumed on the actual ship, this arrangement of planking also facilitated drainage since there are “culverts” situated along the main deck at the same level as this arrangement.
regards from South Louisiana,
Sid B

Hi all, I bought the Cutty last week. Fantastic details and perfect materials. I´m intending to start a build log, but want to get started first. And yes, I´ll take pictures of every step.
I´ve got a question about the deck. At the bow the basswood planks meet the walnut waterways in a stepped way. Do you have to cut the steps into the walnut? I presume you don´t glue
the basswood on top of the walnut because of the thickness of the walnut. Has anyone a tip? Thanks in advance, John.
Hallo @joport
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back