Deck Planking Methods

Throwing any historical references aside my experience suggests that every full rig ship model I have built over the last 40 years (9 if my count is right) have had straight lay deck planking…with or without edge nibbing. I have yet to encounter a kit with curved deck planking. Given this discussion I find that an interesting observation…and thus wonder if it was a convenience for the kits?

Throwing any historical references aside my experience suggests that every full rig ship model I have built over the last 40 years (9 if my count is right) have had straight lay deck planking…with or without edge nibbing. I have yet to encounter a kit with curved deck planking. Given this discussion I find that an interesting observation…and thus wonder if it was a convenience for the kits?
I guess YES - All oder kits content strip material for the planking - either hull but also deck
Unfortunately often with wider strips, so no curve bending was possible.
At this time there were no other technical possibility.
In the meantime with laser cut, the manufacturer are able to produce also sheets with laser cut curved planking, for the hulls but definitevely for the decks

Consider the Bluenose, which had straight planks that were nibbed into the edge planks on the bow deck...but then had curved and tapered planks on the stern deck that are nibbed into the center board. Talk about confusion! ;)

Back