Deck planking

Status
Not open for further replies.
my brother and i had a tree service business so i handled tons and tons of wood and lumber
i will say wood exposed to the weather will turn gray in color as you are seeing in the photos. No matter how much you rub a stone on it or wash it it stays gray. The weathered gray will sand off because it is on the surface but it takes a lot of sanding to remove it. So if you remove the gray you will get to the natural color of the wood and not turn it another color like white. Some woods like cherry do not turn gray it just gets darker.

southern Yellow pine which most North American decks were built from turns a tan with a slight gray tint so tanish gray you could say.

what is never mentioned is on "real" ships if any type of finish like an oil or varnish was applied to the decks or if they were left unfinished.

there are modeling styles that are accepted as correct even though they do not mimic actual ships construction. Like over scale planking or out of scale fasteners.

there are 2 types of scale actual scale where something is done by the numbers and is a "scale reproduction" of the actual item and there is relative scale and that is what we are seeing done on models. how it looks to the eye compared to the overall appearance of the model.

you need a keen eye to see a difference between .062 and .080 but if something should be .062 and you make it .130 well you eye may perceive it as out of scale it looks to big. to heavy or chunky

You could hardly see the bungs on the Victory Museum virtual tour on YouTube. Would that mean we’d be wasting our time with tree nails since you wouldn’t see them with the scales we’re using?
I think that the time spent by builders on their projects should be in pursuit of their own enjoyment of the moment/task. If they choose to get tied up in scale details, whether visible or not from the actual to the build, it is their choice whether logical or not in what they present as their own offering. In that light they would not be wasting their time but investing it by doing what they desire and choose. Just a thought. PT-2

Hi Clair. You know sometimes the simple question could also be the hardest to answer. My first question to you is why would you say that sharing a video of Phillip Reed and how he build's his ship a exercise in trying to match a pro ship model withothert of us, we didn't start out being a pro and am still working to get there maybe never will.I never thought aboutyou when the video up. Why can it not just be sharing something with others that most of us here enjoy not only looking at but enjoy building them to. You say you love the subject so wouldn't this maybe including a video of a master build such as Phillip Reed who has spent his life building ship model's. One could also call it tireless research. My second question is who is this that is a self perclaimed be all,end all, of all things wood who thinks everyone should be as good as Phillip Reed, because they share a video? Am sure including my self and a few others wish we could be on the same level as he is. I shared this with the whole site so if you want to watch it that is up to you, if you do you may enjoy it, but am sure telling you you may enjoy it is wrong but then you would know who Phillip Reed is, and who knows you might even like his video's. I have known Bob Hunt and David Steven's for 40 years and have even sat down with Dave and had a dinner and respect both of them for what they have done in the hobby. But at the same time we don't always agree with each other. I myself don't have any problem with Modellers Choice but you assume that some do. Did some one judged you or your model, they should not have, but isn't that what your doing, judging some one because he share's a video of well known ship modeller on the planking of his ships. Isn't this what this theard is all about. How can you judge some one when you don't know that some one? You feeling good about what your doing and making is all that matter's and most of the time we are our biggest Critic. Having fun building model that all I want to, have fun building model's and share the knowledge that makes us all better modeler's as we grow in the hobby. Of course you would disagree with that and figure it just another know it all who is trying to take away your Modellers Choice and telling you how to build it. Don't believe I have ever told any one how to build their models just simple offing research info to help them or not. Something that you said that Dave does tireless research, Well good sir Dave isn't the only one that does tireless research on them and am sure that there is a few good folks out there that do that very thing in order to build better model, in other words grow. Impossible to do with out tireless research. You know Clair I even gave you reseached info on the planking for your model with no strings, simple because you asked for help, but it seems for doing that one would at least deserve a thank you, and not being judge, don't you think. A plank is a plank and a hippe is a hippo. Another question good sir, out of all of the comments in this thead, why is it that my putting this video the only one that bother you?

Last edited:
my brother and i had a tree service business so i handled tons and tons of wood and lumber
i will say wood exposed to the weather will turn gray in color as you are seeing in the photos. No matter how much you rub a stone on it or wash it it stays gray. The weathered gray will sand off because it is on the surface but it takes a lot of sanding to remove it. So if you remove the gray you will get to the natural color of the wood and not turn it another color like white. Some woods like cherry do not turn gray it just gets darker.

southern Yellow pine which most North American decks were built from turns a tan with a slight gray tint so tanish gray you could say.

what is never mentioned is on "real" ships if any type of finish like an oil or varnish was applied to the decks or if they were left unfinished.

there are modeling styles that are accepted as correct even though they do not mimic actual ships construction. Like over scale planking or out of scale fasteners.

there are 2 types of scale actual scale where something is done by the numbers and is a "scale reproduction" of the actual item and there is relative scale and that is what we are seeing done on models. how it looks to the eye compared to the overall appearance of the model.

you need a keen eye to see a difference between .062 and .080 but if something should be .062 and you make it .130 well you eye may perceive it as out of scale it looks to big. to heavy or chunky
Dave my question is how do you know that 250 to 300 years ago that the decks of English ships were not white? No you don't see white decks today but how do you know and what reference are you using that says it wasn't so. I know you love doing endless research so should be easy for you.

Well, I guess when I read this thread as I take it all as just educational and nothing more. It is good to have a thread to have some take-a-ways and that is really all that it is about. I can assure you all that I am not an expert. I have a hard enough time building my own projects much less trying to figure out exactly how things should be.
However, I guess the beauty of this hobby is that a person can take it as far as they want both historical accuracy and scale accuracy. It's all in the beholder of the project. I am not much of a competitive person, but I have seen models in museums that are 100 times better than I can achieve. But I have to come back down to earth as they say and just impress myself. As long as you are happy with what you are doing - isn't that the most important thing? I think it is. I have done my fair share of watching videos, reading books, etc (and of course this forum) and that is how I learn. Learning is good and developing new skills is good too, but only if you feel like it.
Everyone here has some good points and some things to ponder over.
Donald

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back