Display case size

I'm about to order the bits to construct a display case. Has anybody any suggestions about the amount of free space around the model? Is there an optimum clearance to the glass?
The main course yard is 40cm long - is 45cm internal width for the case enough? Likewise the model on its stand is about 85cm high, so I'm thinking of 90cm high inside the case.

I normally allow a minimum of three inches on every side of the model…so that is an extra six inches to your internal measurements. Even more free space fore and aft can make the display more visually appealing…suggest at least six inches from tip of bow sprit and same off the stern. In my opinion, do not try to pinch the free space…be generous…three to six inches works well for me…

One other point about cases. New models give off fumes from glue and paint for years after they are built which will fog the inside of the case over time. This can be prevented by cutting some slots or dirilling a few holes along the edge of the wooden base to allow venting.

I just recalled that my build log of the Berbice ( shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/berbice-a-1780-schooner-in-1-85-scale-completed-build.7693/#post-208068) shows a base with the slots cut around the edges and the model mounted on the base awaiting a case with the clearances I mentioned earlier.

A word of caution if you cut slots or holes in the wooden base cover the openings with a fine mesh such as a piece of window screening. This will prevent any insect or spider from choosing to hitch a ride on your model

Any thoughts on having the rear of the case black instead of glass? It would show the pale rigging up nicely, although you could only really see one side of the model.

If you have the possibility to place the case in front of a natural light source e.g in front of a window so al transparent case is better . A black or dark colored back can always be added if you place in front of a wall.A mirror at the back or on the ground can also disturb .Mine in the attachment is made of 4 mm thick tempered glass with spaces 4 to 6 mm .If you chose glass it is heavier than plexi but not that sensitive to scratches

3662A5EA-35F9-4CF3-853B-7DB57CCE50F4.jpeg

Back