Displaying finished models

When I was as young boy, I had 150 plastic models of ships, planes, and tanks. One wall of my room was covered with shelves for all the models. You could see each one of them, but from one side only, so you wouldn't have the benefit of seeing all the detail. For a single large ship model, if you have the space, a full glass case such as the one below is best. You can walk around the model and see it from every side and over head also. Do you want access to two sides of the model, but only have room to view it from one side? If so, one idea is to to have the model resting on a motorized turntable, so it turns very slowly, allowing you to see all sides of the vessel.

What we need for you, having a few models, is something between these methods of display. Space is the biggest consideration. Then, there is lighting, and access to all sides of the models is ideal, but not critical. If the models can be easily removed from their cases, then taking them out for viewing removes the need to have access to all sides of their display, or use of a turntable.

Personally, I like access to all sides, as if the model were displayed in a museum. So, I sold two other display pieces, a couple full suits of medieval armor, and completed finishing the basement rooms of my house to provide a model viewing area. I have room for two large sailing ships in full standalone cases. Any further models will have to be placed on the fireplace mantle or wall shelves.

I hope some of this helps you decide how you want to arrange and displace your models.

1383 Completed Photo.jpg

Back