DIY Scribe

Donnie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

DIY Scribe
I saw this made on a youtube channel I watch sometimes. I just had to have one myself. This will help me mark things. It is made out of .25 inch common brass. The scribe part is nothing more than a 19 gauge (1mm) thick sewing needle. The eye of the needle was removed about a .5 inches as the needle was rather long. The rest of it - no plans, just eye-balled it until I liked it. I have a knurling tool that made the knurling. A parting tool to decorate the other end.
In case something happens to tip, just put in another needle. Used a slightly oversized drill of course drilled about .5 inches into taper tip. Used RED threadlocker for the needle. Overall, a little more than one hour job. The taper for the tip is set to about 5 °.

scribe02.jpg

scribe01.jpg

Kkonrath,
if you really want one, I might make that happen. All I need to for you to PM me your physical postal address and perhaps help with a small cost of materials and S&H - you can do this on the donation page. We can work out final cost later.
For others, I only have enough .25 brass bar stock to make about 3 more. Needles? I have to go buy some more. I think I have some steel rod as well and have to check my stock.
BTW, this is version 1.0. 2.0 might have a slightly larger needle. This scribe is mainly used for marking metal stock using a solution like Dykem. I have already tried marking wood and it is "ok", but I think a slightly thicker needle would work better for marking wood. This is not a problem with mine as I have enough meat on tip to make a hole slighly larger.
The scribe has a very slight flexture to it, but not enough to be worried about. I can see maybe shortening the needle length. This is really a poor mans marker.
I could have gotten more pro by ordering scribe tips from Starlett, but who knows what they would cost.

Awesome! I did a similar tool but went really poor man low tech...drilled a hole and stuck a needle into the end of a piece of 3/8 wood dowel! CA held it tight. Donnie's version is WAY nicer! :)

Jim, at least yours probably stayed together ---- LOL :rolleyes: I was using mine and the needle came OUT --- HA. So, back to the drawing board as they say. I am not worried about it. The needle needed to come out anyway as it was a little too long. Time to shorten it.

Beautiful little scribe Donnie. One every model builder dreams of having. Mine is just a 1/8 dowel, darning needle and the ends are Whipped and plenty of varnish to hold it all together. it's lasted a few years

Back