Does the angle of side gallery features follow the sheer line or are they horizontal?

Hello friends,

I have a general design question regarding the windows, railings, and wooden trim on the side galleries. Below is an exceptionally well made model of Nuestra Senora del Pilar de Zaragoza by marktiedens on the MSW forum.

1717808956510.png

The angle of the features on the gallery appear to be oritented in a horizontal alignment...
1717809312205.png

...and are not aligned withthe sheer of the hull, parallel to the wales.
1717809512484.png

Is this the correct orientation? I understand that the internal decks may follow a more horizontal angle, and not the sheer line, and that will affect windows and other features of the side galleries. Models often seem to have this appearance, but many historic drawings appear to have the gallery features follow the sheer lines. Is this something unique to each vessel? Show kit builders modify the galleries to follow the sheer line in order to present a more accurate design? What is the general rule of thumb regarding this feature?

Hello friends,

I have a general design question regarding the windows, railings, and wooden trim on the side galleries. Below is an exceptionally well made model of Nuestra Senora del Pilar de Zaragoza by marktiedens on the MSW forum.

View attachment 451966

The angle of the features on the gallery appear to be oritented in a horizontal alignment...
View attachment 451968

...and are not aligned withthe sheer of the hull, parallel to the wales.
View attachment 451969

Is this the correct orientation? I understand that the internal decks may follow a more horizontal angle, and not the sheer line, and that will affect windows and other features of the side galleries. Models often seem to have this appearance, but many historic drawings appear to have the gallery features follow the sheer lines. Is this something unique to each vessel? Show kit builders modify the galleries to follow the sheer line in order to present a more accurate design? What is the general rule of thumb regarding this feature?
Hi Kurt

This is a model built in 1778 by the builder of HMS Medea. I would say the windows definitely follow the sheer lines.

IMG20240326133543.jpg

Below is the plan Medea was built to.

'Medea'_(1778)_J8184.jpg

Does the windows (and gun ports) and real side galleries not follow the real deck levels? independant of the outer planking?

Take a look here

I do not know, if the location of gun ports and the planking of the shown model Nuestra Senora del Pilar de Zaragoza are correct, but if yes, than I would make the galleries in the line, like shown in "aligned withthe sheer of the hull, parallel to the wales"

Vasa has quite long side galleries that appear to follow the sheer line. Did the officers really live on a hill? Did they have mess tables with shortened legs aft so the soup didn't flow off the side of the bowl?

The line of the galleries followed the sheer of the planking as Uwe points out , not the deck. There are thousands of examples on the RMG Collections site.
One example is below.
Gallery sheer.PNG

Did the officers really live on a hill? Did they have mess tables with shortened legs aft so the soup didn't flow off the side of the bowl?

I am guessing you are joking but regardless it is an interesting point. I doubt the legs were shortened as there was also deck round up with which to contend. On Sovereign for example the rounding would have been as much as 8.5"-9". Unless the tables were centered evenly over the line of the keel, the table would tilt athwartships as well. The trucks on gun carriages were different diameters to account for rounding of the deck, but I don't think mess tables would have been treated in the same way with various length legs.

When I sailed freighters and tankers (not sailing ships :) ) we had ledges on the sides of the tables that could be moved up to keep the cutlery and dishes from sliding off the table when we were in rough seas. No stabilizers in those days. We also wetted the table cloth to reduce slippage.

Allan

Last edited:
The line of the galleries followed the sheer of the planking as Uwe points out , not the deck. There are thousands of examples on the RMG Collections site.
One example is below.
View attachment 452833

I am guessing you are joking but regardless it is an interesting point. I doubt the legs were shortened as there was also deck round up with which to contend. On Sovereign for example the rounding would have been as much as 8.5"-9". Unless the tables were centered evenly over the line of the keel, the table would tilt athwartships as well. The trucks on gun carriages were different diameters to account for rounding of the deck, but I don't think mess tables would have been treated in the same way with various length legs.

When I sailed freighters and tankers (not sailing ships :) ) we had ledges on the sides of the tables that could be moved up to keep the cutlery and dishes from sliding off the table when we were in rough seas. No stabilizers in those days. We also wetted the table cloth to reduce slippage.

Allan
I also sailed cargo ships, and sometimes people would forget to lift the table edges, and when the rolling began, you could hear dishes shattering from several rooms away. When you leave port and the ship is stable, the first night you get heavy rolling always catches someone off guard and you hear all their stuff sliding off desks an onto the floor! It's like the first day of snow here in Minnesota. We call it idiots day, because all the idiots driving too fast end up in the ditch or smashed against trees or other cars. Once all the idiots are having their cars and trucks towed to the mechanics for repair, the roads are safer for a few days despite the weather.

One example is below.
View attachment 452833

Allan
Or see post #2 above. Same same.

Back