Double mainstay rigging

Serving is correct at hearts, but at mast its a loop per stay held by a mouse
Making stay mouse (diamond knot) option | Domanoffs Workshop

MOUSE. A large knob, in the shape of a pear, formed on stays; also a smaller one round messengers, by intertwisting a small rope round the strands.
Mainstay with stay collar:
  1. Stay eye at main masterhead;
  2. MOUSE;
  3. Spliced eye;
  4. Leather parceling;
  5. Stay;
  6. Upper heart;
  7. Lanyard;
  8. Lower heart;
  9. Stay collar from 18th centure, fully served
AL jut simplified for the kit as most suppliers do. Its up to you to do full rigging. In many small scale ( 1:100 or less its not visible) but in a larger scale it looks much better. I suggest Lennarth Petersson book "Rigging Period ship models" for a better view and explanation. AL have just taken short cuts.

@paulv1958 thank you very much for your help. I do have the book. My question was more to the fact that the hearts were placed high and after the foremast, instead of lower and nearer to the bow sprit.

In the mean time I proceeded with my model installing the one of the two main stays. As you can see not according to the kits instructions.20191009_160339.jpg

Last edited:
And now both stays in position. Though I dont know if again thats correct. It came out he one to be slightly above the other... should they supposed to be more side by side, more 20191010_134351.jpg parallel to each otherScreenshot_20191010-135606_TripAdvisor.jpg

Last edited:
Once more study the photos of the replica - they made the rigging historically correct

and this photo

Hello

The rigging of the "replica" of L'Hermione is false, the stay and the preventer-stay must pass on starboard of the foremast.
The hearts are in the lower part.
You have the example, among others, on the model of the Dédaigneuse, almost identical to L'Hermione in the museum of Rochefort.

View attachment 115402
Gerard, many thanks for the correction of my comment. You are much closer to the direct and detailed information.
And I will be more careful in formulating my technical information, which were based on some talks with some guys on the replica, during my visit.
I have a technical question to this detail:
If both are passing on the same side (starboard) the foremast, than the stays are producing some pressure and torsion towards the mast, or? or was the belaying point not in the axis of the ship, but partly on starboard? Very interesting detail o_O

No, the two stays went through the fang of the gammoning knee which is in the axis of the ship. It must be believed that this position had no influence on the holding of the foremast because it is a provision very common in many times of the French navy.
L'Hermione's "replica" was rigged by a Swedish rigger who was perhaps not aware of all the subtleties of French practices.

Back