DSPIAE AT-HD Aluminum Alloy Hand Drill (Kit)

Jimsky

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Well... folks, Good morning! Today I would like to introduce a brand new (at least for myself new) model tools company - DSPIAE. The acronym for DSPIAE is- quality without compromise. Brand logo: DSPIAE®, where D stands for Dream, S for Strive, P for Perfection, I for innovation, A for Advance and E for Excellent
DSPIAE strives to redefine the model tool's new benchmark! The unique process of DSPIAE® makes its tools unique in craftsmanship.

Brand introduction: The brand was established in May 2016. Products exported to North America, Europe, Australia, Southeast Asia. DSPIAE has the top technical and design talents in China. DSPIAE aims to redefine precision tools to new heights! At present, the products in the tool market are relatively single and lack innovation. DSPIAE's unique design will break the conventional market pattern, in the future DSPIAE will be more excellent, for the majority of customers to provide more excellent products. The main products are cutting pliers, hand tools (such as penknives, hand saws, files, etc.), coloring tools, storage kits, pneumatic power tools, etc.

1622389389319.png

I was searching for good nippers another day, and come across their website. They do have nippers\cutters and such great reviews on them but made for plastic to cut the parts from the sprues. However, looking at their tools, and reading multiple reviews, I was kinda wondering what are they (tools). Are they really that good or it is just a marketing way? So I ordered an Aluminum Alloy Hand drill kit AT-HD, it came yesterday and I am rushing to share my experience with you.

Firstlook.
The product came in a very nice, hardshell, presentable (somewhat heavy) box. But man... once you take it in your hands it already feels the craftmanship. It is amazingly high-quality packaging with some original artwork, following all their products. It’s certainly very eye-catching.

600_2204.jpg
600_2205.jpg

To open the box, you just lift the top. A red insert welcomes you to your purchase with a nice THANK YOU! Not often seen in today's packaging (my comments).

600_2207.jpg

Lifting this insert out and opening it up reveals an instruction for assembling the tool, but I doubt you’ll actually it! There is also a spare hexagon wrench for tightening up your chosen drill bit, they call the wrench a spanner. This is in addition to a hexagon screwdriver provided. A nice touch..., IMHO.

600_2208.jpg

Lifting out the insert reveals the tool, plus a set of tungsten steel drill bits in their own lockable plastic case. Lastly, a small hexagonal screwdriver for locking the aforementioned drill bits into the pin-vice. The tool itself looks very elegant, and its shape is also unique. I've never seen the pin-vise with such shape.

600_2209.jpg
600_2211.jpg

Honestly, I was a bit skeptical as to how it works in a hand, with such a 'bullet' appearance, but surprised that it was actually very comfortable. Please note the black plastic stop on the top of the tool, which is fixed to the aluminum body utilizing a bearing. Yea...I was really surprised to see bearing there, the cup rotates easily! The tool is heavy, despite made from brushed aluminum, with a red anodizing surface (very slick).

600_2213.jpg
Attaching the drill bit, it’s very simple, though the somehow unique approach to this pin-vise design. Frankly, I've never seen such a lock mechanism in any pin vise. Your chosen bit inserts into the end and the small 'set' screw is used to tighten and lock it into place. You would use either a provided hex screwdriver or a hex wrench provided in the kit.

There are a total of 10 drill bits, ranging from 0.3 to 1.2mm, in 0.1mm increments. To me, they look like the PBC drill bits, widely available nowadays. The shank of these drill bits is 3.175mm, common to other sets on the market. That means you can use any drill bit available in the market, though, DSPIAE sells the same set separately.

Conclusion
It is just a pin vise, a very simple tool, However, it is a high-quality tool, from what I can see. If you already have a TAMIYA pin-vice, it might be hard to justify another, but this would be a good tool to use as a primary. What makes it unique, is the common shank size, this surely will make you switching drill bit easy, as long as you have a set of drill bits of various sizes. The quality of this tool is beyond doubt, and I’m sure, I will order some of their tools soon. I encourage you to check and see by yourself. Below is their website and FB information.

Actually even this circle cutter can be useful for me. Recently I had to scratch build a collar around the masts on the deck. Looks as a donut with 10 mm ID. I had serious problem making them perfectly round. If I had this tool I would cut a few thin donuts from paper card, glued them together and painted.

Actually even this circle cutter can be useful for me. Recently I had to scratch build a collar around the masts on the deck. Looks as a donut with 10 mm ID. I had serious problem making them perfectly round. If I had this tool I would cut a few thin donuts from paper card, glued them together and painted.
it is not too late to buy, for yet another project or ideas

These tools are looking extremely good - Many Thanks for sharing
I guess, I will order some of these - laso the vise is looking very good

Yes, their tools are top-notch, I ordered some chisel inserts and the handle. BTW, this brand name seems very popular among plastic\resin and cardboard model builders.

I agree. Their tools are beautifully made. I think their target was mainly plastic modellers. As proof, they've got a ruler with a "scaled" scale and there are only scales used by plastic people from 1/144 to 1/35 or 1/72.
PXL_20210601_101054328.jpg
But, (there is always but). It is very difficult to use a circle cutter to cut wholes as you don't know where is the middle of the cut circle. They are making a separate middle finder for that. I have drill as well and the holding screw become worn very quickly. The bits are fantastic but brittle as hell. Slight misalignment and you have 2 bits in the price of one ;)

. You are correct, their tools targeting mostly plastic\resin and cardboard modeling. But we certainly can adapt some of them for our needs. Here is the photo that depicts the scales used in the DSPIAE ruler.

1622550888408.png

Very interesting idea with such a ruler with 1:48 scale ....

I bought their circle cutter a year or so ago and it is of extremely high quality and unbelievably useful. I do a lot of masking and it cuts perfect circles in masking tape flawlessly much better than the circle cutters or dividers I have used in the past (I have plenty filling a bin I no longer use.)

There is an inexpensive procedure to make the wooden hoops that hold the luff of the sails to the mast.
One side gummed Kraft paper.
A round wooden rod of the desired inner diameter.
The rod is smeared with petroleum jelly.
A strip of paper is glued in gum and rolled up the thickness of a ring.
Let it dry
The rings are cut with a small circular table saw, for example the PROXXON.
Then they are passed a little and gently pressing with the finger in a flat position, on a very fine-grained sandpaper
Then they are given a bath of diluted white glue and allowed to dry
Very easy

Last edited:
It is convenient to put a musketeer net covering the saw because the hoops jump everywhere when you finish cutting them.
And also turn the rod a little with your hand when cutting, so that there are no burrs

Attachments

• cintapapelkraft-2.jpg
    cintapapelkraft-2.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 5
I use CNC to make mast base. Since shape is simple, it is easy to draw a drawing. This is a sample to show how CNC is useful. It is not easy to cut perfect circle by hand.

Attachments

• JAP_2480_01.jpg
    JAP_2480_01.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 8
  • JAP_2481_01.jpg
    JAP_2481_01.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 9
  • P1130726.JPG
    P1130726.JPG
    227.9 KB · Views: 9
Back