Duke of York 1836, 1/96 scale built by neptune

Joined
May 25, 2017
Messages
2,109
Points
538

Location
Australia.
Captain Robert Morgan was appointed Master of the Duke of York, owned by the South Australia Company,
The vessel was to take company personnel and settlers to Kangaroo Island, and then go whaling in the Pacific.
Morgan joined the departing Duke of York at Gravesend on 25 February 1836. She brought the first settlers
to Kangaroo Island,


01.jpg
The model as you can see is carved from a Jelutong, a wood that is easy to carve and shape, these are the
two blocks that I carved her from,


02.jpg
The inside view of the two blocks cut to shape,



03.jpg
and the outside view,


04.jpg
and a couple of views with the plans,

05.jpg


.
 
Last edited:
Joined
May 25, 2017
Messages
2,109
Points
538

Location
Australia.
06.jpg
Carving the hulls to shape, you can see the templates that I made and used to get the correct shape,
also where I marked on the hull the positions for the templates,


07.jpg
The hull sections after carving and I have added the Stem, Keel and stern post, the top of the bulwarks has to
be shaped yet,


08.jpg
another view,

.
 
Joined
May 25, 2017
Messages
2,109
Points
538

Location
Australia.
09.jpg
looking down on the deck, the thickness of the bulwarks have been roughly marked in,


10.jpg
Starting to carve down the the deck level,


11.jpg
After removing the excess wood I glued and pinned a thin strip of wood to the deck to give the false ply deck
some camber, the sub deck was a piece of .6mm marine plywood,


12.jpg
view from the stern,



13.jpg
and with the deck glued in place,

.
 
Joined
May 25, 2017
Messages
2,109
Points
538

Location
Australia.
14.jpg
I love making these little boats they are so easy and do not cost an arm and a leg, next up was I cut some deck
planks, I didn't bother with waterways I just planked from the centre out to the bulwarks,


15.jpg
deck almost finished,


16.jpg
and after a clean up,

.
 
Joined
May 25, 2017
Messages
2,109
Points
538

Location
Australia.
27.jpg
for a little bit of a change I decided to make the masts etc, with the masts being small I decided to make the
tops for the top masts out of brass for extra strength,


28.jpg
and after cutting to size,


29.jpg
a view of them being fitted together, all the masts and yards I turned on my Sherline Lathe,


30.jpg
masts and bowsprit etc,


31.jpg
and a view from below,



32.jpg
and the masts, bowsprit sitting over the plans,

.
 
Joined
May 25, 2017
Messages
2,109
Points
538

Location
Australia.
33.jpg
Turning down a piece of wood to make the windlass, I turned the overall length with a bit in the tool post,



34.jpg
Then for the rest of the shape I turned it by hand and finished with sand paper,


35.jpg
the finished shape,


36.jpg
then I marked the barrel and drilled the holes with a small drill,


37.jpg
after drilling the holes,


38.jpg
and the windlass assembled, I used a small cog from a cigarette lighter in the centre, pic shows where it will
sit on the plan,


39.jpg
and a close up view,

.
 
Joined
May 25, 2017
Messages
2,109
Points
538

Location
Australia.
45.jpg
The ship had only a small bust for a figure head, and as I have said before I am no good at carving, so I had a look
in my slop's chest to see what i could find and I came up with a small figure and I cut off the head,


46.jpg
I trimmed it square below the head to match the timber it would be glued to, I also drilled right through the head
for it to fit a piece of copper wire that would hold it in place,


47.jpg
the head attached just have cut the copper wire,


48.jpg
and after a little bit of a clean up,


49.jpg
and a couple of views of the figure head and the capping rails in place,


50.jpg


51.jpg
 
Joined
May 25, 2017
Messages
2,109
Points
538

Location
Australia.
68.jpg
I had to make three sets of davits, and I choose to laminate three strips of wood to make each one,


69.jpg
I cut a former out of some pine wood and glued three strips together and clamped them in the former
with some kitchen plastic wrap on the former parts so the davits would not stick to the former,

70.jpg
the finished davits after cutting to size and drilling the sheave holes, also the front piece of grating
and the ships wheel,


71.jpg
side view of the attached davits,


72.jpg
overhead view,


73.jpg
the back pair of davits,


74.jpg
Port side view showing both sets of davits in place, I have started to paint the model, I decided to just
paint the underwater hull copper because of the small scale,

.
 

Jimsky

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Nov 3, 2018
Messages
5,236
Points
738

Location
Brooklyn, New York USA
Carving the hulls to shape, you can see the templates that I made and used to get the correct shape,
also where I marked on the hull the positions for the templates,
Oh, John..., you make my day! This reminds me of my childhood, where I went to the shipbuilding club (in school) and made first modells. Those were submarines, and I probably build more than a dozen. The process was exactly using those templates to shape the hull. BTW, she is coming along nicely! Great job!
 
Top