Dumas "Rusty" Shrimp Boat

Dumas offered this model as a remote control model; however, I don’t do remote control but wanted a shrimp boat. Mine is strictly a display model. The Dumas model is rather bland or stripped down and I wanted to add some embellishments to make it appear more like a real shrimp boat. I used the 3D printer to make new winches that are more realistic than those provided with the kit. Additionally, I 3D printed life raft containers, loran, spot light, horn, adapter for the rigging, a propane tank, life preserver rings, and tires for fenders. The fire extinguishers and ladder were made from wood.IMG_2399.JPGIMG_2400-1.jpgIMG_2403-1.jpgIMG_2404.JPGIMG_2405.JPGIMG_2407.JPGIMG_2408.JPGIMG_2409.JPGIMG_2412.JPG

Very nice, Pawley. It makes me think of the South African pelagic trawlers.

Excellent build, Pawley! Yea...those 3D printed winches looks really good. Technology work for us, almost unlimited possibilities! Did I said almost...?Hmm...mmm

Excellent build, Pawley! Yea...those 3D printed winches looks really good. Technology work for us, almost unlimited possibilities! Did I said almost...?Hmm...mmm
It is almost like when we first start building model ships we start with basic hand tools and soon find ourselves needing more and more tools to assist us. We move to Dremel's, and then on to scroll saws, table saws, drill presses, etc. All are technology in a fashion. We also start drawing plans with paper and pencil and then they come up with CAD. What a great asset that has been. And now with 3D we are off on another whirlwind adventure. Technology of any kind is great if it helps us get the build done.

Technology of any kind is great if it helps us get the build done.
Have you ever wonder, Pawley how the heck they made admiralty style models in 17th, 18th Centuries without all modern technology? I have no answer, still

Have you ever wonder, Pawley how the heck they made admiralty style models in 17th, 18th Centuries without all modern technology? I have no answer, still
I just finished watching Titanic Blood an d Sweat on Prime and for the life of me I cannot determine how they were able to build that thing in 1910. The sheer size of it is amazing but then how they made steel and worked it without torches is just too much.
And just the century before that we were building ships that could do wonders. Sometime look up the "largest wooden ship ever built in South Carolina." Quite story. It was built in 1875 and was so big they could not install the masts and rigging at the boat yard where it was built. They had to float it down a river to Georgetown SC to gain access to the ocean and then take it to Charleston SC to rig it. Henrietta sailed for 20 years but caught in a storm. I don't know how they ever built it.

Yes I have the files I've attached them below. Where you see an annotation such as 1.2 or .75 it means that I scaled the file to that size, i.e. 1.2 inches or .75 inches. I'm not sure that these are all of the files that I used so I'm going to send you some more files in the next post just to make sure.

Attachments

• mounts-1.31.stl
    31.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Mounts-1.25.stl
  • Mounts.stl
  • motor-Housing-new 1.4.stl
    614.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Motor-housing-1.4-left box.stl
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • motor-housing-1.4.stl
    614.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Motor-housing-1.2-left box.stl
    614.3 KB · Views: 9
  • motor-housing-1.2.stl
    614.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Drum.stl
    6.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Disk.stl
    8.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Brake handle.stl
    10 MB · Views: 9
  • brake handle-.75.stl
    2.5 MB · Views: 6
  • angle iron-1.31.stl
    14.3 KB · Views: 6
  • angle iron-.24.stl
    14.3 KB · Views: 6
  • angle iron-.18.stl
    14.3 KB · Views: 16
  • End Cap.stl
    31.3 KB · Views: 7
Ok here are the other files that I spoke of above. This set has a photo of what the winch should look like. I am getting ready to build a model shrimper from plans that I obtained from Wye River Models. It is not quite as big as Dusty and again it is a basic model. I'll be using some of the same 3D accessories as I did on Dusty.

Attachments

• winch_drum.stl
    3.9 MB · Views: 10
  • winch photo.gif
    winch photo.gif
    37.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Winch drum-1.0.stl
    720.2 KB · Views: 6
  • winch drum-.75.stl
    720.2 KB · Views: 5
  • take off-.38.stl
    140.7 KB · Views: 5