Dutch yacht ___Prince of orange____Restoration

I know this will be strange to some of you seeing a build log for a kit which has already been built myself with your help i'm hoping to restore it. Being new to the forum i will have to learn to send photo's i have quite a few but they will have to be resized for the purpose of posting so i will try to start if successful will post more tomorrow.
Henry x

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l1600 (2).jpgs-l1600 (3).jpgs-l1600 (4).jpgs-l1600 (5).jpgs-l1600 (6).jpgs-l1600 (8).jpgs-l1600 (9).jpgs-l1600 (10).jpgs-l1600 (11).jpg

I would suggest you snip all rigging holding masts to hull and work the hull first, masts look in good shape for installation when hull is fixed.

Well gentlemen let me report the ship has indeed weathered the storm. Let me say first i only bought this for something to do during this covid 19 pandemic. What you are about to see is a model that i believe is a model even the Dutch model's never knew existed, it is indeed Prince of Orange produced by Amati which i believe may go back to the 20's maybe even earlier they also produced the Kit von Bremen but this one pre dates it, construction wise they are exactly the same however the deck furniture,the stern and the figurehead differ on the von Bremen from what little i know. It is difficult to know what pic's to post because the last thing i want is to bore you, try and look under the dirt and grime and tell me what you see and hope this will trigger someones memory. There are 4 pieces missing and it's vital that i find info on 2 of them in order to complete this model namely what goes in front of the windlass and how was the bowsprit fixed. Really wish some of you have seen this model or maybe someone else not in the forum who has seen it really i am putting out an S.O.S.

DSC03876.JPGDSC03884.JPGDSC03885.JPGDSC03882.JPGDSC03877.JPGDSC03878.JPGDSC03943.JPGDSC03946.JPGDSC03947.JPGDSC03948.JPG

Forgot to include these.
I can only add that on this model fwd of the windlass there were 2 posts you can just see in the above photo the remnants of the glue and the bowsprit was glued to the top of the hull next to the stem i think on the von Bremen there were 4 posts.

Now i must say i am a little stunned by your silence and i hope people reading this post are indeed really interested in this type of model but i fear you are all too young to have known or remember this kit the rest of us we are just at the wrong end of life's spectrum and memory is not what it once was but unlike me i do know you have the expertise to know where and how to get it.

I think it's going to lead to a man named AB Hoving a man i fully respected but not anymore and i'm sorry to say that, it was he who said in another forum on the same subject that i posted he himself did not like such models and that it gave the wrong impression of ships of the period and he went on and on suffice to say his thread has now been deleted. He did however refer to a book "Risse von Schiffe des 16 and 17 Jahrhundert's by Rolf Hoeckel hope i have spelled the name correctly and did say the drawings in this book were the insperation given to the maker for producing the kit ( he did eventually acknowledge that it was a kit ). So i'm not really asking i am pleading to anyone out there who has this book or access to it please post the drawings or maybe a PM. it may contain the info i'm looking for.

Regards
Henry xDSC03916.JPG

Attachments

• DSC03917.JPG
    DSC03917.JPG
    288.1 KB · Views: 3
Dear Henry. It's not a question of silence - it's a question of saying the right thing.

I am very interested in all things Dutch - however, being interested in and having the definitive knowledge to help you are two distinctly different things. Like you have suggested - my recommendation would have been to consult Ab on this topic, but clearly that would be going against your sentiments. With regards to "Risse von Schiffe des 16 and 17 Jahrhundert's by Rolf Hoeckel - my only suggestion would be to ask @Uwek whether he has the book or knows someone who might have it.

I have this book somewhere (according by list), but do not remember in moment where it is....never used it by myself
I will try to find it
If I am not able to find, please think about to buy it by yourself - it very cheap on the used book market, starting with only some Euros

Heinrich
Sorry if i seem inpatient but i totally agree in what you say I too really want to do the right thing so I will have to sit tight and hope something will turn up I still don't believe that I am the only person in this world who has this model and I now know the importance that it has.

Uwe

Thank you for the link I might give it a try, now that UK has left Europe postal rates have gone sky high just like USA. But if postal rates stay as they say in the link not to bad

Henry x

Here are the cannon 2 of the barrels are missing,the hooks that attach the rings to the deck and the rigging each cannon was attached to the ring next to it but also to the ring on the opposite side of the deck by the rigging. Here you will see what i'm up against i think it was painted with shellac and not varnish and over the years kept in damp conditions the combination of shellac, damp and dust has created a sticky mess which i have removed by scraping ( the deck ) but you can't really lift it like dust alone. The cannon a bit awkward to scrape the carriage, metal parts i can use a different solution at the moment i have it all soaking in methylated spirit but if anyone has a better solution please fell free to air it.

Henry xDSC03954.JPGDSC03957.JPGDSC03959.JPGDSC03960.JPGDSC03953.JPGDSC03952.JPG

Coming on but should have told you this kit was assembled using animal glue white in this case some parts have been repaired using brown animal glue. My father used animal glue brown he would heat it on a gas ring until it melted which might help to date it also you have to be very careful because it is soluble in water that's why I chose meth's.

Henry x

Paul

It's just one of those things, you spend years looking for something once you find it you then start falling all over them. Let's hope something will turn up.

Regards

Henry

Perhaps we should all make a point of inserting a scroll within are models detailing the builder, the date, the kit referecnce etc.
Who knows where some of our models will end up in the years ahead. If microfiche still existed we could even include the plans.

I think for people who are really interested kits/models should be recorded somewhere like S J B just said

Henry x

Back