Duyfken

Ok, I am a little confused here - who built this? As Tomnbirdie said - "Very nice work" - so that means that Tomnbirdie did not build this?

I like what you did. A charming model. A lot of what we do is speculation, especially the further back into history we reach. Your take on this little ship is as legit as it gets, until someone comes up with documentary evidence from the period. Thumbs-Up

Pete

Yes, the Duyfken replica's authenticity can be questionable. There are different points of views and these opinions have been quite strongly debated by other parties. It is well known that the authenticity of the replica (engineered by Maritime Architect Nick Burningham) had been attacked widely by another Marine Architect, Karl Heinz Marquardt (the author of a beautiful book about the Endeavour, who just wanted to become the MA of the replica) and this debate led to personal attacks against each other, even after the Replica became operational. So deciding about what is authentic and what is not is a matter of personal opinion. In my opinion Buckingham's approach was as close to the very rare original paintings and drawings as possible so, knowing a thing or two about the early XVII century Dutch ship building I accept Birningham's approach fully and I think Marquard's attacks are sauer grapes rather than based on facts.
János

Back